Degrees & Certificates
Advanced Shop Ironworker
Certificate of Achievement
About the Program
The mission of Ironworkers Apprenticeship Training program is intended to ensure that
union ironworkers have the skills,
knowledge, and training necessary to be safe on the jobsite, competitive in the workplace, and satisfied in their careers. This
program ensures that local and shop members in Northern California receive the comprehensive and effective education and
training that will enable them to carry out their work safely and efficiently while meeting the highest standards of quality.
About the Certificate
The Advanced Shop Ironworkers certificate provides necessary advanced skills and knowledge to set an apprentice up for success as a shop ironworker. Lecture based advanced classroom work leads to knowledge that is used for practical shop floor applications covered in hands on advanced skills laboratories.
Shop Ironworker, Ornamental Iron Fabricator, Metal Fabricator, and Welder Fitter.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Advanced Shop Ironworker, students are able to explain the AWS code requirements for the qualification of welders and welding operators.
- Upon completion of the Certifi cate of Achievement in Advanced Shop Ironworker, students are able to demonstrate torque inspection of high strength steel bolts and fasteners.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Advanced Shop Ironworker, students
are able to demonstrate
visual inspection of welded materials for weld soundness and discontinuities.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Advanced Shop Ironworker, students are able to demonstrate preparation of structural members for painting work.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Advanced Shop Ironworker, students are able to explain how building loads are distributed into the ground through the use of footings.
|APIW 51 Blueprint Reading I||3|
|APIW 52 Shop Ironworkers Mathematics||1.5|
|APIW 53 Welding Technology||3|
|APIW 54 Structural I||3|
|APIW 55 Work Place Safety and Machinery Operation/Labor Studies I||
|APIW 56 Structural II||3|
|APIW 57 Structural III||3|
|APIW 58 Welding Code/AISC/Metallurgy/Labor Studies II||1.5|
|APIW 59 Metal Stairs Layout and Fabrication||3|
|APIW 60 Metal Railing Layout and Fabrication||3|
|APIW 61 Ornamental Metal Fabrication/Structural IV||1.5|
|APIW 62 Blueprint Reading II||3|
Updated: July 2022