- Las Positas College
- Degrees & Certificates
- Degrees & Certificates
- Business Entrepreneurship Certificate of Achievement
Degrees & Certificates
Certificate of Achievement
About the Program
The Las Positas College Business Studies Program is designed to provide students with a broad understanding of business concepts and functions used in a wide range of careers. There are many areas of specialization available that fit current and projected needs of the ever-changing business environment. It is important that students work closely with business faculty and counselors to determine which degrees or certificates best support their individual career and/or transfer goals. Students may pursue programs to prepare for work, upgrade skills, or transfer to a four-year college or university.
About the Certificate
The Certificate in Entrepreneurship is designed for students who are self-employed, current or prospective business owners, or those interested in new business ventures or startups. This certificate provides the foundation of business competencies including management, marketing, innovation, finance, communication, and leadership skills in a changing world. After a student completes the certificate, they may choose to continue their education and obtain a degree, apply their knowledge to their current job, or start their own business venture immediately.
It is estimated by the Department of Labor and the Small Business Administration that 80% of new jobs are initially created by small businesses. Entrepreneurs that start new businesses, add to the existing job market and take on the risk and rewards of being an owner. Putting an idea to work in a competitive economy can lead to satisfying personal achievement with some new ventures generating enormous job opportunities for others and wealth for the entrepreneur, investors, and employees. Choosing to pursue an entrepreneurship certificate and/or degree can offer a variety of career paths and can meet a variety of career goals. Entrepreneurship careers cover a wide range of industries and locales, and entrepreneurs can find opportunities in businesses of all sizes. An individual's interest and ability to focus on making a project work will determine what kind of career may develop. As an entrepreneur, a career path unique to an individual's interests, business knowledge, and ambition can be carved.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Business Entrepreneurship, students are able to compare and contrast the impact of the external business environments on small businesses.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Business Entrepreneurship, students are able to construct a business plan, essential marketing plan, and basic financial documents for a small business.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Business Entrepreneurship, students are able to define and provide concrete examples of the "Competitive Advantage" concept that a small business must achieve in order to succeed.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Business Entrepreneurship, students are able to describe the nature and characteristics of successful small business persons.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Business Entrepreneurship, students are able to detail key business procedures relevant to a specific problem using appropriate technology.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Business Entrepreneurship, students
are able to summarize the responsibilities of small business owners in selecting,
motivating, training, and supervising employees.
|BUSN 18 Business Law||4|
|BUSN 40 Introduction to Business||3|
|BUSN 45 Entrepreneurship||3|
|BUSN 1A Financial Accounting||4|
|BUSN 51 Accounting for Small Businesses||3|
|BUSN 55 Business Mathematics||3|
|BUSN 56 Introduction to Management||3|
|BUSN 58 Small Business Management||3|
|MKTG 50 Introduction to Marketing||3|
|MKTG 61 Professional Selling||3|
|BUSN 48 Human Relations in Organizations||3|
|BUSN 52 Business Communications||3|
|CMST 1 Fundamentals of Public Speaking||3|
Updated: July 2022