Degrees & Certificates
- Early Care and Education Home
- Programs & Certificates
- Faculty & Staff
- Professional Development Coordinator
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Child Development Center
- LPC Internship & Job Board
- Advisory Board
Elementary Teacher Education
Associate in Arts for Transfer
About the Degree
The Las Positas College Early Care and Education program offers courses that lead
to an Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher
Education for Transfer Degree. The major requirements for the Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer Degree align with the Intersegmental Transfer Model Curriculum (TMC) for Elementary Teacher Education. Students will have guaranteed admission to a California State University (CSU) campus upon successful completion of the program requirements. Students should consult with a counselor to determine whether this degree is the best option for their transfer goals. General education requirements should be selected carefully based on the intended transfer institution.
- Completion of 60 semester units or 90 quarter units that are eligible for transfer
to the California State University, including both of the following:
- The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or CA State University General Education – Breadth Requirements.
- A minimum of 18 semester units or 27 quarter units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
- Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADT’s) also require that students must earn a "C " (or "P'') or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis.
- Upon the completion of the AA-T in Elementary Teacher Education, the student will be able to demonstrate practices that promote and maintain early Elementary Education teaching standards.
- Upon the completion of the AA-T in Elementary Teacher Education, the student will be able to successfully transition to a CSU Elementary Education Program by completing required coursework and practicum fi eld work.
- Upon the completion of the AA-T in Elementary Teacher Education, the student will be able to synthesize child development and education research and theories to support the development and learning modalities of children.
|BIO 10 Introduction to the Science of Biology or|
|BIO 30 Introduction to College Biology||4|
|CHEM 31 Introduction to College Chemistry||4|
|CMST 1 Fundamentals of Public Speaking||3|
|ECE 10 Introduction to Education||4|
|ECE 56 Child Growth and Development||3|
|ENG 1A Critical Reading and Composition or|
|ENG 1AEX Critical Reading and Composition Expanded||3 - 4|
|ENG 4 Critical Th inking and Writing about Literature||3|
|GEOG 5 World Regional Geography||3|
|GEOL 20 Earth Science for Educators||4|
|HIST 3 World History to 1500||3|
|HIST 7 US History Th rough Reconstruction||3|
|MATH 27 Number Systems for Educators||3|
|PHYS 10 Descriptive Physics||3|
|PHYS 10L Descriptive Physics Lab||1|
|POLI 7 Introduction to American Government||4|
|ENG 7 Critical Th inking and Writing Across Disciplines||3|
|THEA 53 Script Analysis||3|
|ARHS 1 Introduction to Art History||3|
|MUS 1 Introduction to Music||3|
|THEA 10 Introduction to Dramatic Arts||3|
|Total Units in the Major||54 - 55|
|General Education and Electives||5 - 6|