- Las Positas College
- Degrees & Certificates
- Degrees & Certificates
- Advanced ESL Communication Studies
Degrees & Certificates
- ESL Home
- ESL College Grammar Pathway Certificate
- ESL College Reading and Writing Pathway Certificate
- Advanced ESL Communication Studies Certificate
- ESL Handbook
- International Students
Advanced ESL Communication Studies
Certificate of Completion (Noncredit)
About the Program
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Program provides an opportunity for students whose first language is not English to develop language skills for their personal, professional, and academic lives. The ESL Department at Las Positas College offers tuition-free, noncredit courses designed to help students become proficient in English. Noncredit English as a Second Language courses lead to a College Grammar Pathway Certificate of Competency, and/or a College Reading and Writing Pathway Certificate of Competency. Most classes in the ESL Department are mirrored and can be taken for credit or noncredit.
About the Certificate (Noncredit)
The Advanced ESL Communication Studies Program is a short-term (2-course) non-credit program. This program offers a bridge to continuing academic studies and transfer level CMST courses. The program will also aid students in preparing for workforce entry or advancement. Students who complete this program will be able to implement essential communication skills such as vocal variety, eye contact, stance, and awareness of cultural norms. Students will receive one-on-one coaching from instructors and will complete the program with strategies to continue building confidence and effectiveness in front of any audience.
Employment opportunities include jobs which require effective and assertive communication such as customer service, hospitality, sales, and office management.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Completion in Advanced ESL Communication Studies, students are able to establish an effective and assertive presence in formal speaking situations such as academic courses, job interviews, professional meetings, and presentations.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Completion in Advanced ESL Communication Studies, students are able to give responses using appropriate and concise rhetorical frames in common formal speaking situations, such as academic courses, job interviews, professional meetings, and presentations.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Completion in Advanced ESL Communication Studies,
students are able to demonstrate an awareness of cultural norms appropriate to specific
public speaking situations.
|NESL 240 Public Speaking Delivery for Advanced ESL (Communicate With Confidence)||4|
|NESL 241 Public Speaking Structure for Advanced ESL (Find Your Voice)||4|
Updated: July 2022