Degrees & Certificates
- Math Courses & Pathways
- Math Pathways Flow Chart
- AS in Mathematics for Transfer Degree Requirements
- Student Resources
- Math Faculty Resources
- Full-Time Faculty
- Adjunct Faculty
- Instructional Assistants
- Self-Guided Placement Support
College Mathematics Pathway
Certificate of Competency - Noncredit
About the Program
The Mathematics Department at Las Positas College offers a wide range of tuition-free, noncredit courses and programs designed to help students be successful in mathematics, from student learning support to being a math tutor. Course offerings include sections from our award-winning Math Jam program, foundational math classes in Prealgebra and Algebra, and our new concurrent support courses. Students interested in developing their tutoring skills can take training courses in our Math Jam mode. Most classes are mirrored in the math department and can be taken for noncredit or credit.
About the Certificate
The Math Course Pathway to an Associate’s Degree Program is a noncredit pathway for students to develop the mathematical skills necessary at Las Positas to earn an Associate’s (AA/AS). Embedded are essential study and life skills to help each student succeed in credit math courses and beyond. Students can than choose a capstone noncredit intermediate algebra level course based on their field of interest. Noncredit Intermediate Algebra for SLAM (Statistics or Liberal Arts Math) or Intermediate Algebra for BSTEM (Business, Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) continues to offer students rigorous, holistic supports during the semester. Successful students may petition to get credit for the intermediate algebra course of their choice, and hence satisfy the math requirement for an Associate’s Degree. Research at our college and similar community colleges have shown that supports such as these have a huge impact on student retention and success rates.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Competency in College Mathematics Pathway, students are able to use symbolic, graphical, numerical, and written representations of mathematical ideas.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Competency in College Mathematics Pathway, students are able to learn mathematics through modeling real-world situations.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Competency in College Mathematics Pathway, students are able to read, write, listen to, and speak mathematics with understanding.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Competency in College Mathematics Pathway, students are able to use appropriate technology to enhance their mathematical thinking and understanding, solve mathematical problems, and judge the reasonableness of their results.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Competency in College Mathematics Pathway, students
are able to use mathematical reasoning and, when appropriate, a general problem solving
process to solve problems.
|NMAT 207 Pre-Algebra||108|
|NMAT 210 Elementary Algebra||72|
|NMAT 255 Intermediate Algebra for BSTEM||90|
Updated: July 2022