Degrees & Certificates
- Math Courses & Pathways
- Math Pathways Flow Chart
- AS in Mathematics for Transfer Degree Requirements
- Student Resources
- Math Faculty Resources
- Full-Time Faculty
- Adjunct Faculty
- Instructional Assistants
- Self-Guided Placement Support
College Mathematics Support
Certificate of Competency (Noncredit)
About the Program
The Mathematics Department at Las Positas College offers a wide range of tuition-free, noncredit courses and programs designed to help students be successful in mathematics, from student learning support to being a math tutor. Course offerings include sections from our award-winning Math Jam program, foundational math classes in Pre-Algebra and Algebra, and our new concurrent support courses. Students interested in developing their tutoring skills can take training courses in our Math Jam mode. Most classes are mirrored in the math department and can be taken for noncredit or credit.
About the Certificate
College Mathematics Support is a noncredit program for all Las Positas College students. This pathway is designed to offer students prior and concurrent support as they prepare for the credit transfer-level math course required to transfer. Embedded are essential study and life skills to develop each student holistically as well as rigorous learning support of prerequisite and key math concepts. Prior to starting math courses, Math Jam assists students prepare for their target transfer-level math course required to transfer to a four-year program based on their educational goal. During the semester, concurrent support courses enable students to receive rigorous prerequisite review of math concepts and study skills to apply in their math classes. Research at our college and similar community colleges have shown that supports such as these have a huge impact on student retention and success rates.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Competency in College Mathematics Support, students are able to formulate short-term and long-term learning objectives based on their academic goal(s). Students in this program have a goal to develop their knowledge, skills and abilities in preparing transfer.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Competency in College Mathematics Support, students are able to demonstrate the appropriate skills necessary to become a more productive, successful, and independent learner.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Competency in College Mathematics Support, students are able to use prerequisite topics effectively in their target mathematics course.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Competency in College Mathematics Support, students
are able to learn and apply study skills and life skills that will improve the student's
likelihood of succeeding in their academic goals (examples of topics include brain
research, identifying their individual growth mindset, personal time management, test
taking and conquering math anxiety strategies, etc.).
|NMAT 264 Math Jam for SLAM Preparation||12-60|
|NMAT 265 Math Jam for BSTEM Preparation||12-60|
|NMAT 255C Concurrent Support for Intermediate Algebra||54|
|NMAT 200C Concurrent Support for SLAM Mathematics||54|
|NMAT 201C Concurrent Support for BSTEM Mathematics||54|
Updated: July 2022