- Las Positas College
- Degrees & Certificates
- Degrees & Certificates
- Enology Certificate of Achievement
Degrees & Certificates
Certificate of Achievement
About the Program
The program options in the Viticulture and Winery Technology Program are designed to prepare students for careers in the wine industry. VWT students may enter the program at the level most suited to their needs and take as few or as many courses as they need to meet their objectives. There are both Certificates and Associate of Science Degrees available to provide students with the knowledge and skills essential for success. Students are also able to pursue their studies in either of two tracks: Viticulture (grape growing) or Enology (wine making) by taking a series of production-oriented courses. Students may also elect to complete an Associate of Science degree in either Viticulture or Enology.
About the Certificate
The Certificate of Achievement in Enology prepares students for entry-level employment in the field of Enology, or wine-making. The Certificate consists of core courses in wine-making and science, and focuses on the production of quality wines. Students will gain both theoretical knowledge as well as hands-on experience on state-of-the-art winery equipment.
There are more than 4,700 bonded wineries in California. From established wineries to new ventures, well-trained winery personnel are needed in many positions. Career opportunities related to enology include: winemaker, assistant winemaker, wine analysis lab technician, oenologist, winery supervisor, quality control, production manager, tasting room director, wine sales, wine service, wine hospitality, grape/juice buyer, equipment supplier, wine label design and packaging.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Enology, students are able to apply general chemistry principles, wine microbiology fundamentals, and laboratory techniques to produce sound wines.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Enology, students are able to safely start-up, operate, and shutdown winery equipment; and effectively utilize the equipment during the winemaking process.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Enology, students are able to perform an accurate wine assessment utilizing acquired organoleptic skills.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Enology, students are able to
perform wine analysis methods including laboratory/quality control test during harvest,
fermentations, cellaring, and prior to bottling.
|VWT 10 Introduction to Viticulture||3|
|VWT 20 Introduction to Enology||3|
|VWT 21 Applied Enology||3|
|VWT 23 Fundamentals of Wine Science||3|
|VWT 25 Sensory Analysis of Wines||3|
|VWT 41 Fall Winery Operations||3|
|VWT 42 Spring Winery Operations||3|
|WRKX 94 Occupational Work Experience/Internship||2|
|VWT 1 World Wines: New World||3|
|VWT 2 World Wines: Old World||3|
|VWT 47 Wine Regions/Wines of California||3|
Updated: July 2022