Summer 2018 - CIS 50 - Intro to Computing Info Technology
Welcome to the Summer 2018; CIS 50 - Intro to Computing Information Technology class! I am Debbie Fields, your instructor. This semester, I am teaching two sections of CIS 50.
Classes start Monday, June 11 and end Thursday, August 2:
- CIS 50, DE1: CRN#10016, is an online class
- CIS 50, DE2: CRN#10006, is an online class
Las Positas College has implemented a waitlist system ( Waitlist Info Page). Before the start of instruction, if a class is full/closed, you may place yourself on a waitlist. If a student drops and a seat becomes available, you will be notified via your Zonemail student email account that you have 72 hours to register for the class. If you do not register before the notification expires, you will be removed from the waitlist.
Congratulations on enrolling in this course! I hope you will find this course intellectually challenging, informational, interactive, and perhaps even fun. You will find preliminary information about this course on this website, please explore the links. The official course information will be posted on Canvas the first day of class.
Syllabus: See the links above for the Class Syllabus for your class.
Canvas: What is Canvas? Canvas is a web-based course management tool accessed through the Internet. You do not need to download or install software to access Canvas. Instructors create online courses using Canvas's hardware and software on the Internet, students access online courses via the Internet.
- CANVAS CIS 50 Class website: http://www.laspositascollege.edu/onlinelearning/canvas.php
- If you are currently enrolled in this class, your username and password should have been created by the first day of class. To access the class website, review the instructions on CANVAS login page
- Information about all of the Las Positas online courses can be viewed at: http://www.laspositascollege.edu/onlinelearning/
- Problems logging into the course website on CANVAS, contact Student Support: Student Support
Class Description: The Web-based section of CIS 50 conforms to the approved outline of the course and includes ALL the same assignments, textbook, supplemental readings, evaluation procedures, and grading as the traditional, in-class lecture course. This is NOT a self-paced class. There will be weekly assignments (with penalty for late work), weekly quizzes (with no make-ups).
- Student participation may include:
- Weekly assignments: Late assignments will have their value reduced by 50% each week they are late.
- Weekly quizzes: Quizzes are scheduled weekly on Thursday thru Sunday (you will have all day to take the quiz). Quizzes are closed-book and timed, I will deduct 5 points for every minute past the alloted time. There are NO make-up on quizzes. However, I will drop one quiz grade. Students with verifiable disabilities are eligible for special accomodations. Such students must arrange with the Disabled Students Programs/Services to take a proctored exam on campus.
- Class discussions: weekly class discussions via the Internet
- Final exam (mandatory, failure to take the final exam will result in 'F' in the course)
- Student project
- Textbooks available in LPC Bookstore or http://www.laspositas.bkstr.com
MindTap Computing, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access for Hoisington's Technology Now: Your Companion to SAM Computer Concepts, 2nd Ed by Corinne Hoisington, ISBN: 978-1-337-56318-5. See more at: - See more at: Textbook Publisher website
- Windows 7 Operating System or better, Microsoft Office 2013 software or better, must have Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access software
- Ability to send and receive electronic mail
- Ability to send email with attachments
- Ability to participate in online discussions (chats)
- Ability to use an Internet browser (eg: FireFox, Chrome, Microsoft Explorer)
- Daily access to the Internet
- Operating System: Windows 7 or better, YES you can use a MAC
- Applications: MS Office 2013 or better, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access