The Professional Development Committee
Who do we serve?
- The Professional Development Committee strives to serve all constituent groups on campus and we desire to provide information that will be of interest to all Faculty and Staff.
- Part-Time (Adjunct) Faculty have their own informational page in the Resources section. You can alternatively click here to access it.
- Important information for Classified Professional Staff and Administrators can also be found in the Resources section. Links of particular interest include Continuing Education, Professional Development, and Professional Organizations.
News & Updates
- Information about the Fall 2017 Mandatory FLEX Day is now available, which is being held on Tuesday, October 24 from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM.
- Full-time Faculty are only responsible to complete one variable flex day's worth of activities (equivalent to 6 hours) for the current 2016-2017 Academic Year. There was an error in reporting that it was two Variable FLEX days; it is, in fact, only one that Full-time Faculty are responsible for.
- The Budget Request for Professional Development from the State Chancellor's Office can be found here. This is part of the greater budget request proposal for community colleges in California which can be found here.
- The Variable FLEX "Patch" Form can be found here. This form needs to be completed and submitted to Howard Blumenfeld by May 15, 2017. You must document and record all approved Variable FLEX activities here. Attach relevant documentation and/or proof of attendance to the form and submit it by the deadline. To learn more about what types of activities are acceptable for Variable FLEX credit, please consult the Variable FLEX website.
- If you intend on holding a workshop, activity, or event that may count toward Variable FLEX credit, please submit it via the Variable FLEX Activity Request Calendar for approval. Once approved, events will appear in the Approved Variable FLEX Activity Calendar. You can subscribe to this calendar for updates whenever events are added to it.
The Professional Development Committee is charged in an advisory capacity to address the professional and personal growth needs of the campus faculty, staff, and administration in accordance with the California Education Code as well as to foster the professional development goals set forth in the CLPCCD District Educational Master Plan and the Las Positas College Mission Statement & Institutional Strategic Goals.
- In 2014, AB 2558 was placed into effect which effectively established the Community College Professional Development Program and eliminated the Community College Faculty and Staff Development Fund.
- This assembly bill requires that each campus has a Professional Development Advisory Committee (composed of faculty, staff, and administrators), completes an annual human development resources plan, and submits a report of the actual expenses incurred through faculty & staff development each year.
- Professional Development Funding is to be disbursed according to the rules and regulations of the board of governors. In order to receive continued funding for Professional Development on campus, documentation must be maintained concerning employees' participation in Professional Development activities in accordance with their contractually obligated hours.
- Another intersting item from 2014 is the creation of the new ACCJC Accreditation Standard III.A.14 which calls for the following:
"The institution plans for and provides all personnel with appropriate opportunities for continued professional development, consistent with the institutional mission and based on evolving pedagogy, technology, and learning needs. The institution systematically evaluates professional development programs and uses the results of these evaluations as the basis for improvement."
- Section 87153 of California Education Code specifies the type of Professional Development activities that may be funded by the Community College Professional Development Program. They are as follows:
- Improvement of teaching.
- Maintenance of current academic and technical knowledge and skills.
- In-service training for vocational education and employment preparation.
- Retraining to meet changing institutional needs.
- Intersegmental exchange programs.
- Development of innovations in instructional and adminstrative techniques and program effectiveness.
- Computer and technological proficiency programs.
- Courses and training implementing affirmative action and upward mobility.
- Other activities determined to be related to educational and professional development pursuant to criteria established by the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges, including, but not necessarily limited to, programs designed to develop self-esteem.
Meetings are held during the second Monday of each month from 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM in the Teaching and Learning Center (Room 2410).
Charge of Committee
Develop policies and processes for awarding of staff development funds; review and make recommendations for funding of staff proposals; plan and promote staff development activities.
President, College Council
- Chair: Program Director
- 1 Administrator
- 5 Faculty, one from each division
- 1 Part-time Faculty
- 4 Classified, including Teaching and Learning Center
- Academic Senate
- Classified Senate
2 years. One-half replaced each year. First year selected by lottery.
This is the membership list, effective for the 2016-2017 Academic Year:
|Howard Blumenfeld||Mathematics Faculty (Coordinator) (MSEPS)|
|Greg Daubenmire||Mathematics Faculty (Coordinator) (MSEPS)|
|David Powers||Mathematics Faculty (MSEPS)|
|Maureen O'Herin||English Faculty (A&H)|
|Ernie Jones||Psychology Faculty (CATSS)|
|Robin Roy||Psychology Faculty (CATSS)|
|Patricia Stokke||Business Faculty (BHAWK)|
|Brian Owyoung||Counseling Faculty (Student Services)|
|Gabriela Discua||Counseling Faculty (Student Services)|
|Tim Druley||Webmaster (Classified)|
|Frances DeNisco||Community Education (Classified)|
|Bill Eddy||Athletics (Classified)|
|Carolyn Scott||Executive Assistant (Classified)|
|Ana Del Aguila||ECD (Classified)|
|The Professional Development Committee currently reports out to the President & College Council. The official membership consists of a minimum of one chair (or two co-chairs), one administrator, five faculty (one from each division), one part-time faculty member, and four classified (including the TLC). Appointments are made by a combination of the Academic Senate, Administration, and the Classified Senate. Members serve two year terms with one-half of the membership replaced each year. The first year of the Professional Development Committee is selected by lottery.|