Peace and Social Justice Club
Contacts for 2014-2015
Advisor: Steven K. Chiolis
Co-Advisor: Brittany Miller
President: Jasmine Guraya
Vice President: Omar Elgarguri
Treasurer: Ravneet Dhanjal
Public Relations Officer: Catln Boldt
Community Service Chair: Reese Melchior
Secretary: Sageena Mutti
ICC Representative: Timothy Rowe
The Club aim's to keep Las Positas and the surrounding community aware of today's important, but often overlooked issues. Our goal is to educate the Las Positas community and others on social justice related issues and how to obtain peace. By educating the community we anticipate to revive activism on campus about these very important issues.
In our Club meetings we begin by first educating our club members on an issue that they feel is important. We then engage in mature academic discussion with diverse perspectives on the issue. Upon discussion our club expects to partner with local organizations that focus on the issues the club members are interested in. This furthermore helps benefit those in need and fosters civic engagement among LPC students.
Peace and Social Justice Club Meetings and Events for Fall 2014:
The Peace and Social Justice Club meets every Wednesday in room 1814 from 1:20-2:20 pm.
- September 24, 2014, 1:20 p.m., Room 1814: Guest Speaker, Gabby Kirk from the organization Jewish Voice for Peace will be coming to discuss the conflict in Palestine/Israel using personal experience and factual data.
- October 15, 2014, 1:20 p.m., Room 1814: Guest speakers will come in from Congressman Eric Swalwell's office.
- District director for congressman, Cheri Greven, will discuss and inform club members about the drought in California and other local bay area issues, such as affordable housing. She will also touch on potential government internships available to LPC students.
- Campaign organizer and constituent services manager for congressman, Jake Brymner will brief and review transportation issues in the bay area and will discuss how this is a social justice issue. He will also introduce Measure BB (a transportation plan).
- October 22, 2014, 1:20 p.m., Room 1814: Guest speaker Parker Townley, who is the national campaign organizer from Fair Trade USA come in to introduce and inform what is Fair Trade. We will also have free Fair Trade products!
- October 29, 2014, 1:20 p.m., in Room 1814: In this week's meeting we will focus on minority discrimination in U.S. law. We will have guest speaker Kevin J. Lindsley, who is a local Criminal Justice lawyer give a brief presentation on this topic along with talking about his experience as a lawyer dealing with such issues.
- November 12, 2014 in Room 1814: Movie Screening of the movie Pineapple Express.
- December 3, 2014, 1:30 p.m., in Room 1814: Discussion collaboration with Philosophy Club on the question, "Should we tolerate intolerance?"
- December 10th, 2014, 1:20 p.m. in Room 1814: Peace & Social Justice Club will host a workshop on human trafficking and go over what it is, why does it occur, and what can we do to address this issue.