- Las Positas College
- LPC Literary Arts Festival
- West of Kabul Essay Prompts
LPC Literary Arts Festival
West of Kabul Essay Prompts
Essay requirements to be determined by the instructor.
Please introduce prompts before reading the book so that students can annotate for quotes and ideas they'd like to use in their essays.
Personal Response Essay Prompts
- Compare and contrast Mr. Ansary's spiritual/religious journey with your own. How are the similarities and differences important?
- Compare and contrast Mr. Ansary's cultural upbringing with your own. How are the similarities and differences important?
Analysis Essay Prompts
- Present and evaluate Mr. Ansary's beliefs throughout the book. How did they change? Where do you find logical or illogical conclusions and why?
- What cultural differences were presented in the book between being an American and being and Afghan? What is Mr. Ansary's conclusion about those differences?
- Analyze the belief system presented by a character (or characters) other than Mr. Ansary in the book. What do you find appealing and unappealing and why? What do you find logical or illogical?
- Analyze the value and impact of Mr. Ansary's romantic relationships on his personal belief system.
Research Essay Prompts
- What impact did the American war in Afghanistan have on the country of Afghanistan? Present some context to the history of Afghanistan and the war itself. Evaluate the goals and outcomes.
- What is happening now to the people of Afghanistan since the withdrawal of US troops?
- What was the impact of the American war in Afghanistan on the United States? Be sure to look at the human, economic, and cultural impacts or choose one.
- Compare and contrast different types of Islam. Consider differences between countries as well as differences between Sunni and Shia.
- Compare and contrast any of the world's major religions. What are their similarities and differences concerning history, beliefs, and practices? Also consider the various stratifications of those religions, i.e. reform versus conservative.