- Las Positas College
- Fire Service Technology
Degrees & Certificates
- Fire Service Technology Home
- Fire Service Technology A.S. Degree
- Fire Officer Leadership and Management A.S. Degree
- LPC Regional Firefighter Academy
- California State Fire Training
- Accelerated Bachelors Degree for Firefighters
- Fire Service Technology Certificate
- Company Officer Certificate of Achievement
- Fire Academy - Fire Suppression Certificate
- Fire Prevention Certificate
- Industry Credentials
- LPC Internship & Job Board
- Advisory Board
Fire Service Technology
Certificate of Achievement
About the Program
Las Positas College Fire Service Technology "“core” curriculum is aligned with the National FESHE (Fire and Emergency Services Higher Education) 2018 model Fire Service curriculum, in addition several course offerings provide entry level industry certificates from the Office of State Fire Marshal, State Fire Training Division.
The Associate of Science Degree program focuses on both the technical training and the general education course work required for a degree. This program will prepare completers to enter gainful employment in the fire industry the fire technology program provides educational courses that prepare students to enter the field of fire technology as a firefighter. The program supports working partnerships with county and city fire departments forming a regional training center.
Las Positas College Regional Fire Academy is an accredited Regional Training program (ARTP) as designated by the Office of the California State Fire Marshal (CSFM). As an ARTP, Las Positas College Regional Fire Academy is authorized to deliver a CSFM Accredited Fire Fighter I Academy and a full suite of CSFM courses leading advanced levels of certification. In addition, Las Positas College Regional Fire Academy is authorized by CSFM to deliver Fire Fighter I certification examinations in support of CSFM’s accreditation by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) and the National Board on Fire Service Professional Qualifications (Pro Board).
The Las Positas College Regional Fire Academy is an accredited California State Fire Marshal program providing certificates from State Fire Training (SFT) and the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG). This program and other similar programs statewide are intended to provide an educated recruit base for Fire Departments in the state of California. This program is designed to meet the dynamic challenges of fire department needs for pre-service recruits in the 21st century and enabling students to successfully become employed by fire departments throughout the state of California and within the Alameda County Community College District's service area. Las Positas College Fire Academy graduates are employed in every Fire Department in Alameda County and many departments in California as well as out of state.
About the Certificate
The Fire Service Technology program prepares the student for a career in the Fire Service, through the provision of highly specialized curriculum which involves both cognitive and psychomotor applications of education and training. The necessary knowledge and skills sets of a desired educational background for an opportunity of employment or advancement into several different fire service career paths may be achieved through the successful completion of the different Fire Service Technology courses provided for in the program.
Career opportunities provided through the Fire Service Technology Program include Volunteer / Reserve Firefighter, Seasonal Wildland Firefighter, Full Time Professional Firefighter, Firefighter / EMT, Firefighter/Paramedic, Fire Inspector or Code Enforcement Officer, Fire Cause and Origin Investigator and State Certified “Fire Officer” which is desired for promotion to a “Company Officer” in most Fire Service Agencies. Students in the Fire Service Technology Program have been very successful in finding employment in the Fire Service as “Professional Firefighters” throughout the United States due to their extensive training and knowledge that they have achieved here in comparison to the local competition of available candidates in many other states.
- Upon completion of the Fire Service Technology Certificate of Achievement, students are able to analyze and evaluate data to solve Fire Technology problems.
- Upon completion of the Fire Service Technology Certificate of Achievement, students are able to recognize the importance of ethics and professionalism within the Fire Technology field.
- Upon completion of the Fire Service Technology Certificate of Achievement, students are able to analyze and apply measures to resolve problems in areas of suppression, prevention, and EMS.
- Upon completion of the Fire Service Technology Certificate of Achievement, students are able to demonstrate technical, cognitive, and psycho-motor skills necessary to achieve and maintain employment in the fire service.
|EMS 30 Emergency Medical Responder||3|
|FST 1 Fire Protection Organization||3|
|FST 2 Principles of Fire and Emergency Services Safety and Survival||3|
|FST 3 Fire Behavior and Combustion||3|
|FST 4 Fire Prevention||3|
|FST 5 Fire Protection Systems||3|
|FST 6 Building Construction for Fire Protection||3|
|FST 7 Fire Service Conditioning & Physical Agility Development||1|
Updated: July 2022