Degrees & Certificates
Certificate of Achievement
About the Program
The program options in the Viticulture and Winery Technology Program are designed to prepare students for careers in the wine industry. VWT students may enter the program at the level most suited to their needs and take as few or as many courses as they need to meet their objectives. There are both Certificates and Associate of Science Degrees available to provide students with the knowledge and skills essential for success. Students are also able to pursue their studies in either of two tracks: Viticulture (grape growing) or Enology (wine making) by taking a series of production-oriented courses. Students may also elect to complete an Associate of Science degree in either Viticulture or Enology.
About the Certificate
The Certificate of Achievement in Viticulture prepares students for either entry-level employment or further study in the field of Viticulture, or grape-growing. The Viticulture certificate includes courses in viticulture and winery technology, science, and general education courses. Students will gain both theoretical knowledge as well as hands-on experience in the college’s onsite Campus Hill Vineyard.
California produces 90 percent of the U.S. wine. From established vineyards to new ventures, well-trained wine industry personnel are needed in many positions. Career opportunities related to viticulture include: vineyard manager, vineyard design and development, pest control, irrigation specialist, vineyard crew supervisor, equipment supervisor, quality control, production manager, wine hospitality, grape/juice sales, wine label design and packaging.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Viticulture, students are able to contribute to the wine grape industry and participate in professional organizations at the local, state-wide, national and/or international levels.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Viticulture, students are able to describe the latest technological advances in vineyard practices and incorporate current technology into their farming plans.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Viticulture, students are able to identify, plan, and implement sustainable farming practices that will improve fruit quality, provide efficacious pest and disease management, and protect natural resources and the environment.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Viticulture, students are able to show leadership capabilities by effectively training others to perform hands-on vineyard tasks.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Viticulture, students are able to work cooperatively and effectively with winery personnel to determine optimum harvest parameters and coordinate the operations required.
- Upon completion of the Certificate of Achievement in Viticulture, students are able
to use proficient knowledge of the seasonal requirements of a working vineyard.
|VWT 10 Introduction to Viticulture||3|
|VWT 12 Landscape and Vineyard Soils, Fertilizers, and Irrigation||3|
|VWT 20 Introduction to Enology||3|
|VWT 25 Sensory Analysis of Wines||3|
|VWT 31 Fall Vineyard Operations||3|
|VWT 32 Spring Vineyard Operations||3|
|VWT 33 Summer Viticulture Operations||1|
|VWT 35 Landscape and Vineyard Pest and Disease Management||3|
|WRKX 94 Occupational Work Experience/Internship||2|
|VWT 1 World Wines: New World||3|
|VWT 2 World Wines: Old World||3|
|VWT 47 Wine Regions/Wines of California||3|
Updated: July 2022