- Las Positas College
- Administration of Justice
- Job Market
Administration of Justice
The Job Market
The Administration of Justice A.A. degree helps prepare students for employment or further education in the areas of correction, law enforcement and security. Correction includes work in probation, parole and in correctional institutions. Law enforcement includes work in police departments, sheriff's departments, the California Highway Patrol, and various Federal agencies. Security personnel work in various private firms, department stores, industries, and private patrol and guard services.
Pay varies and depends on size of employer and geographic location. Salaries are higher in larger cities and counties. Entry salaries range from $4,000 to $5,000 per month and top pay may exceed $8,200 per month with police cadets earning the lower pay and police chiefs earning the highest pay.
In many departments officers with a 4-year degree or beyond are automatically placed in a higher pay grade, and the advanced degree is required for promotion.
Here are some resources to help you learn more about this field.
- Alameda County Jobs
- Alameda County Sheriff's Academy-Regional Training Center
- Alameda County Sheriff's Office
- State of California Homepage
- US Department of Justice
- Peace Officers Research Association of California (PORAC)
- California Peace Officers Association
- State of California Peace Officer Standards & Training (POST)
- Online student transfer information system
For more information please contact: