Umoja is a…
College success program and learning community that provides a dedicated support system to help students reach their academic goals and life purpose. Students in the program will take core GE courses together as a community and will have a dedicated counselor and a personal tutor, as well as a host of faculty readily available to guide them and help them succeed in their courses. The courses are designed to enhance students’ appreciation for literature, art, culture, and critical thought that centers the experience of the African Diaspora worldwide. Students in the program will receive guidance on scholarship applications, career exploration, major selections, course selections, transfer applications, and university selection so that they strategically set their goals and complete their LPC journey without wasting any time!
Through the UMOJA PROMISE (see below), students can complete courses in the program to be eligible to transfer to an HBCU/Private University in ONE year or be eligible to transfer to a UC or CSU within TWO years!
Benfits of Being a Umoja Scholar
- Early registration, so that you register for classes before they fill
- Encouraging and supportive instructors
- Cohort classes (this means you will take classes with other Umoja students) - it's a community!
- Hyflex courses—This means you can attend in-person or online via zoom
- Dedicated counselor who will help you make your academic plan so that you take the right courses
- A personal tutor who will make sure you won’t fall behind on your coursework
- College workshops and guest speakers
- College tours and other transfer events
- Opportunities to develop your leadership skills
- Access to career and academic resources and opportunities, such as scholarships and internships
- Connection to other interest groups and clubs such as A2MEND, Black Student Union, Sista 2 Sista, etc.…
What is the Umoja Promise
The Umoja Promise is a program intended to Fast-Track students’ GE completion time through select 8-week courses. For Academic Year 23/24, students will take a combination of semester-long and 8-week courses and in-person and hyflex * courses as follows:
Psychology-Counseling 30 - Student
Success & Career Exploration
- 3 units
- CSU/UC transferable course: CSU GE: E
English 1 A - Critical Reading and Composition
- 3 units (8-week fast-track)
- CSU/UC transferable course: CSU GE: A2; IGETC: 1 A
- 3-unit (8-week fast- track)
- CSU/UC transferable course: CSU GE: A1; IGETC: 1C
Psychology 21- Psych of Race & Identity
- 3 units
- CSU/UC transferable course: CSU GE: D; IGETC: 4
- 3 units (8 week fast-track)
- Can be taken during Fall or Spring
- CSU/UC transferable course: CSU GE:A1; IGETC: 1C
*Zoom attendance possible for students who are unable to attend.
Who Can Be a Part of This Community?
If you are committed to successfully achieving your educational goals and completing your program of study (i.e., certificate, associate's degree or transfer), this program is for you!
Who Is Eligible?
Any student who is enrolled at Las Positas College or has begun the admissions process and has assessed into English 1 A - Critical Reading and Composition.
The Umoja Promise (Fast Track)
Want to be eligible to transfer to a Historically Black College/University (HBCU)
or a Private College/University in ONE Year or
be eligible to transfer to a UC or CSU in TWO Years?
Our Fast-Track classes and individualized Student Educational Plans (SEP)
are designed to help you stay on track and
follow a path to 30 units within 3 semesters.
We promise to provide the support you need to succeed.