What should you know about flying for fun?
Generally flying a drone is about common sense and being aware of your surroundings.
Before you fly:
- Register your drone and give it an ID number
- Take the online, free and quick (<15 minute-ish) Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST)
- Check your Airspace (For example I cannot fly in my neighborhood in downtown Livermore
In General, the rules are: about safety:
- Use the B4UFly app to check your airspace
- Make sure you are not flying above people
- Fly below 400’
- Fly during the day.
- Keep your drone within the visual line of sight
- Do not operate your drone in a dangerous manner.
Do your homework!
The FAA has wonderfully useful information:
Where can I Fly?
Check out this interactive map from the FAA
What do you need to know about flying as a business?
If you want to make money, you need to pass the remote Pilot exam, this costs $150 and requires learning the similar knowledge as pilots of larger aircraft. It can be done, yet it helps to have formal and structured learning.