- Administrative Services Home
- Bulletin Board
- Staff Directory
- Grant Process
- Payroll, HR, and Hiring
- Employee Handbook
- Facilities Requests and Rentals
- Secure Shredding
- Certificate of Liability Insurance
- Student Insurance
- CARES Act Institutional Aid Reporting
- Child Development Center
- Information Technology
- Campus Safety
Contract for Services
Contract for Services are established for the purpose of hiring independent contractors to provide services to the College that are not provided by a College-employed position. The Contract for Services process requires many steps and should be prepared for accordingly. You are encouraged to begin the process approximately 2 months before the service needs to be performed. Please review the instructions below on the procedure for hiring independent contractors through the Contract for Services process.
Please note that employees may not pay for services out of pocket and receive reimbursement. Any services to be performed on-campus or on behalf of the campus must be paid directly by the college, to the vendor, after a contract has been approved and a PO established.
Form to use: Requisition Request Form (select "Contract for Services") and additional documents listed below.
On the Requisition Request Form: enter a brief description of the work to be performed, a quantity of 1, and the total cost of the work under the unit price.
Vendors that provide services fall under the Contract for Services process primarily if they file as an individual/sole-proprietor/single-member LLC. Vendors that file as an S-Corp, C-Corp, or Incorporated business do not fall under Contract for Services and are instead considered general Professional Services. This can be confirmed by requesting a copy of the vendor’s completed W9 (see section 3 of the form). Generally speaking, small 1 or 2 person businesses are considered Independent Contractors, whereas large business are not. If you are unsure if the vendor is considered an Independent Contractor, review the Independent Contractor Questionnaire and Independent Contractor Checklist to help determine the process to follow.
Las Positas College does not reimburse Independent Contractors for supplies purchased separately for the arranged work/services. The cost for supplies purchased for and in relation to the work agreed upon should be included as part of the overall contract. Receipts for these purchases should be retained by the Independent Contractor.
Contract for Services Process
Flowchart: Contract for Services
- Consider the type of work that needs to be performed and ensure that it falls under the Contract for Services process. Click here for more information on the differences between a Contract for Service and Professional Srevices. Information about Contract for Services can also be found at the District website here.
- Complete the additional forms below and obtain signature approval before completing a Requisition form. Administrator approval is required for items 2 through
4. The Business Office will obtain the President's signature on the Contract. Items
5 and 6 are only required if the vendor is not set up in Banner. Items 2 through 7
must be attached, after they are completed and signed, to the Requisition form. Items 1 through 4 must be completed every time you hire
an independent contractor, regardless if they have been hired in the past. Forms should
be downloaded and opened via your Adobe program. Do not fill out forms in a browser.
- Requisition Request Form (LPC version) [always required]
- Contract for Services Form [always required]
- Independent Contractor Questionnaire [always required]
- Independent Contractor Checklist [always required]
- Vendor Profile Application [new independent contractors only]
- IRS W-9 Form [new independent contractors only]
- Valid Business License [include whenever possible]
- Once the above forms have been completed and signed by the appropriate parties, fill out a Requisition Request Form and attach the above documents, in order. Once the form is filled out and all necessary attachments included, submit the form to be reviewed by your department's Administrative or Executive Assistant.
- Contracts are not approved until the Vice Chancellor of Business Services has reviewed
and approved the request. The Business Office will forward your request to the District
Office for final approval.
- Note: until final approval is obtained from the Vice Chancellor, the College does NOT have an approved contract with the independent contractor. Independent contractors should NOT be instructed to start performing services until final approval is obtained from the Vice Chancellor.
- Once approved by the Vice Chancellor, the packet is forwarded to Purchasing to issue a PO. Invoices for the service(s) performed by the independent contractor will be paid against this established PO. In most cases, the Requestor will be sent a copy of the PO from Purchasing. Receiving this PO copy is your cue that the contract has been approved and work may be performed.
- Once the work has been performed, you should be provided with an invoice for payment
by the vendor. Invoices must be clearly labeled with the word "invoice" and should
only be paid after the service has been provided. Invoices must contain the following
before forwarding to the Business Office:
- Confirm that all information is correct, including the amount due.
- Write "ok to pay," sign below, and date.
- Write the PO number established by the District Purchasing Office.
- The Business Office will submit the invoice to District Accounting for payment.
For more information please contact:
Administrative Services Technician
Administrative Services Officer