- Las Positas College
- Welcome & News
- Degrees & Certificates
- Summer Jazz Camp
- Performance Ensembles
- Commercial Music
- Department Handbook
- Music Faculty
- All-Steinway School
- The Job Market
- Job Openings and Referrals
- LPC Internship & Job Board
- Performing Arts
- Career & Technical Education
- Advisory Board
Auditionees must enroll in their desired ensemble(s) before auditions are held to guarantee availability and placement. Visit Admissions & Records to complete enrollment in ensembles.
Auditioned ensemble class codes and meeting times for Fall 2023:
- MUS 15 - Jazz Ensemble
- Mon - 6:00-8:50pm
- MUS 16/41 - Orchestra & Instrumental Chamber Ensemble
Wed - 6:00-8:50pm
- MUS 17A/11 - Jazz Combos
- Tues/Thurs - 2:30-3:45pm
- MUS 45 - Chamber Choir
- Tues/Thur - 4:00-6:05pm
- Fri - Sectionals TBD
- MUS 46 - Vocal East Jazz Ensemble
- Mon/Wed - 4:00-6:05pm
- Fri - Sectionals TBD
Jazz Combos Audition Requirements
- Dan Marschak, Director
- Audition process:
Students must record a video of themselves performing the requirements listed below along with a backing track or other players, and email to the instructor after the first class meeting of the semester August 17 by 5pm.
- Horns: Play the head (melody) of a tune of your choice, then improvise for at least a chorus.
- Drums: Demonstrate 3 styles: Swing, Bossa, Funk (each style can be approx 30 seconds). Please also play with either a backing a track or a friend over a tune of your choice and trade 4s for at least one chorus.
- Piano and Guitar: Choose a standard and demonstrate playing chord changes ("comping") for at least one chorus and improvise for at least chorus.
- Bass: Demonstrate basslines in 3 styles: Swing, Bossa, Funk (each style can be approx 30 seconds). Please also 'play' with either a backing a track or a friend over a tune of your choice and improvise for at least one chorus.
- Vocals: Sing a tune of your choice over a backing track or with an accompanist. Scatting over the changes is ideal, but not required.
Jazz Ensemble Audition Requirements
- Mario Silva, Director
- Auditions for MUS 15 are held on the first day of class 6pm-8:50pm
- Horns: Please have prepared 2 major scales in 2 octaves. Also, please perform the head for a jazz standard of your choice.
- Drummers/Percussionists: Please demonstrate 3 styles: Swing, Bossa, Funk
- Rhythm Section (piano, guitar, bass): Please choose a standard and demonstrate playing chord changes.
Vocal Audition Requirements
Example jazz standard leadsheets and recommended resource books for sheet music can be found here:
Instrumental Chamber and Orchestra Audition Requirements
We offer two non-auditioned ensembles, where anyone regardless of ability, can enroll and participate: MUS 48 Improvisation Lab and MUS 44 Concert Choir.
This Fall 2023, the non-auditioned ensemble will be:
- MUS 48 Improvisation Lab (Thursdays 6pm-8:50pm)
- Julie Homi, Director
- Email: JHomi@laspositascollege.edu
Our top priority as a department is student and instructor safety, while also finding innovative and creative solutions to the central problem: Making music together without spread of Covid 19.
Ensembles are currently being taught face-to-face pending state and county guidelines. Appropriate measures are in place to ensure safe rehearsal and performance. This space will be updated accordingly with new information as necessary.
After reading all available information thoroughly, any remaining questions may be directed to department coordinator Dan Marschak (email@example.com)
For more information please contact:
Music Department Coordinator
Cindy Browne Rosefield
Mertes Center for the Arts (Bldg 4000)
Las Positas College
3000 Campus Hills Drive
Livermore, CA 94551