The Job Market
Entry level pay for labor positions range from $7.50-$9.00 per hour. Experienced workers typically earn $9.00-$22.00 per hour. Management and supervisory positions have the greatest earnings at $3,500 to $5,500 per month. Owners/ operators of many landscape maintenance businesses earn between $4,500-$8,500 per month. Many residential landscape installation contractors earn between $150,000-$500,000 per year, gross income
Students might work in residential and commercial landscape installation and maintenance; urban tree service; forestry; park, grounds, and golf course maintenance; retail and wholesale nursery operations and management; floristry; plant pest control and horticulture consulting; and residential landscape design.
Here are some resources to help you learn more about the field of horticulture.
- Alden Lane Nursery
- Jobs in Horticulture
- Dept. of Horticulture, Cornell University
- Horticulture & Home Pest News
- Horticulture Research International
- Dept. of Horticulture, Penn State
- Dept. of Horticulture, Purdue University
- American Horticulture Society
- The American Society for Horticulture Science
- The USDA Agricultural Research Service
- The Botanical Assn.of America
- Floriculture Worldwide Network
- Society of Floristry
- Floristry Resources
- ForFarmers: A careers site for those involved in the field of agriculture. Agricultural positions from around the world.