HIGHER EDUCATION EMERGENCY RELIEF FUND REPORTING
EMERGENCY FINANCIAL AID GRANTS TO STUDENTS
1. School Acknowledgement:
Las Positas College acknowledges that we signed and returned to the Department of Education the Certification and Agreement and intend to distribute 50%of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
2. Funds Available to Students:
Las Positas College received $1,437,745 for Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
3. Funds Distributed to Students:
As of June 11, 2020, $1,109,250 of Emergency Financial Aid Grants has been distributed to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
As of June 30, 2020, $1,164,000 of Emergency Financial Aid Grants has been distributed to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
As of August 11, 2020, $1,263,000 of Emergency Financial Aid Grants has been distributed to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
4. Eligible Students:
The estimated total number of students eligible to participate in the program under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students under Section 18004(a)(1) was 5,000.
5. Number of Students Who Received Funding:
As of May 26, 2020, 1480 students have received an emergency grant valued at $750 each under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
As of June 30, 2020, 1562 students have received an emergency grant valued at $750 each under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
As of August 11, 2020, 1694 students have received an emergency grant valued at $750 each under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
6. Method(s) Used to Determine Funding:
Las Positas College utilized 2019-2020 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) data to automatically award the initial grants valued at $750. To receive an automatic award, student must have filed a 2019-20 FAFSA, met federal Title IV basic eligibility criteria, have unmet financial need based on cost of attendance less expected family contribution, those who had FAFSAs on file at the time were enrolled in 6 units as of March 16 (LPC’s frozen enrollment date), and earned some units for spring term. Students whose FAFSAs were received after March 16 must have completed 6 units in Spring to qualify for the automatic awards.
A local LPC CARES Emergency Grant Application is now available for other students to apply, with the same basic eligibility criteria as the automated awards but allowing for students with no unmet financial need (based on cost of attendance less Expected Family Contribution) to be considered, and for students who may have dropped below 6 units due to Covid-19 related issues to also be considered. These remaining grants will also be awarded at $750 per student.
Based on the current guidance by the Department of Education, CARES grants cannot be provided to students who completely withdrew, even with Covid-19 extraordinary withdrawals, or to students in a disqualified financial aid status. If that guidance changes we will gladly revise our eligibility criteria accordingly.
7. Instructions/Announcements for Students:
Students who are experiencing financial hardships due to the COVID-19 pandemic who have not filed a 2019-2020 Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must do so before June 30, 2020 (the last date to apply) to be considered for a CARES Emergency Grant.
To apply for a CARES Emergency grant: log into your CLASS WEB account and click on the Elections/Student and Staff Survey on the Main Menu. The LPC CARES Emergency Grant Application will be posted for easy online completion for those students who meet the basic eligibility criteria. Students who do not meet the basic criteria will not be able to complete the application. Las Positas College will continue to award students both automatically and through the application process, through summer and fall terms, until all CARES Emergency funds are fully awarded.
INSTITUTIONAL AID REPORTING
As per the Certification and Agreement signed when applying for HEERF funds, Las Positas Community College is complying with Section 18004(e) of the CARES Act to submit the initial report (“30-day Fund Report”) to the Secretary thirty (30) days from the date of the institution’s Certification and Agreement, more specifically the date on the GAN P425F203304 (5/6/2020) issued to ECCCD by the U.S. Department of Education. This information is being posted on the institution’s website thus making it easily accessible to the public. The report includes the following:
- Las Positas Community College signed (on 05/14/2020) and returned to the Department the Certification and Agreement on 05/20/2020.
- The total amount of funds that the institution has received from the Department pursuant to the institution’s Certification and Agreement for Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (Institution) is: $1,437,745.
- Spending of funds: While the institution has been spending funds that are allowable expenses under the Institutional Aid of the CARES Act, as the priority was placed on those funds going to Student Aid. We have set up a separate budget account to track the Institutional portion. The spending report is available in the Administrative Services office.
- Start Date: May 20, 2020
* Report 1 (06/30/2020): $105,125.30 spent to date
* Report 2 (07/31/2020): $104,415.40* spent to date
* Reduction due to refund of item
* Report 3 (08/31/2020): $111,444.96 spent to date
We attest that we will follow the HEERF reporting requirement to:
- Document that Recipient has continued to pay all of its employees and contractors during the period of any disruptions or closures to the greatest extent practicable, explaining in detail all specific actions and decisions related thereto, in compliance with Section 18006 of the CARES Act.
All Staff are Working Remotely at this Time
Cranium Cafe Hours
Phone or Videochat
Monday: 9am - 5pm
Tuesday: 9am - 5pm
Wednesday: 9am - 5pm
Thursday: 9am - 5pm
Friday: 9am - 1pm
Federal School Code:
We have an after-hours DROPBOX located in the hallway between the Admissions and Financial Aid Offices, for your convenience.
- FAFSA- FREE Application for Federal Student Aid
- FSA Phone: 1-800-433-3243
- FSA ID Assistance: 1-800-557-7394
California Dream Act (AB 540 eligible)
Financial Aid TV Videos
LPC Veterans First Program