Administration of Justice
21st Century Policing Certificate
The Certificate of Achievement in 21st Century Policing is a groundbreaking shift in the continuing education of our law enforcement personnel.
Developed in association with community members and police professionals, the certificate pathway focuses on developing specialized knowledge and understanding of individual leadership, integrity, ethics, interpersonal skills, self-care strategies, and community and officer wellness.
Students also examine the history and development of policing in the US, giving context to the complicated dynamics of democratic policing in an ever-changing society.
Special approval is required for enrollment. Students will be challenged to engage in personal reflection and honest self-evaluation, explore new ways of thinking about the role of police in our society, and participate in open dialogue about the past, present, and future of policing.
Those who achieve the Certificate of Achievement in 21st Century Policing are poised to become tomorrow’s law enforcement leaders.
Quality Online Education for Working Professionals
This hybrid format program has three half-day sessions (January, June & November) that meet in-person on our Livermore campus. All remaining classes are offered online in asynchronous format that allows working professionals to complete coursework throughout the week. The 16-unit program consists of six classes, taken two at a time, over the course of one year. Students proceed through the program as group/cohort, establishing professional relationships in a collaborative learning environment.
Program participants will be afforded an opportunity to create a customized education plan that fits their individual needs.
Associate Degree Completion Options
The courses in the Certificate of Achievement in 21st Century Policing Students are intended to compliment the program map for students who want to complete their AA or AS-T degree in the Administration of Justice. Students seeking degrees have numerous options to pursue:
- CA POST training credits – POST basic police academy college credits and other POST approved training may be transferable.
- Credit for Prior Learning – Eligible students may be awarded credit for general education, program coursework, or electives.
- Credit may be earned by students who satisfactorily pass military courses on their Joint Services Transcripts (JST).
- Students who have achieved elsewhere an equivalent knowledge, understanding and experience to that required by regular college courses may receive units of credit based on successful completion of a comprehensive assessment of documentation, credentials, or an assessment designed and approved by the College discipline faculty.
Students who are awarded an AS-T Degree are guaranteed admission with junior standing somewhere in the CSU system and given priority admission consideration to their local CSU campus or to a program that is deemed similar to their community college major.
For an informal assessment of your prior learning and experience, contact the Administration of Justice Program Coordinator by completing the Program Inquiry Form.
Click on the graphic below to view an interactive Program Map for the 21st Century Policing Certificate of Achievement.
Click Here to view a description of each course in the program
Fees and Tuition Costs
Program Tuition: $736
Program Fees: $113
* The California State Legislature regulates enrollment fees. Fees are subject to change.
**Textbook costs may vary according to the format options available and chosen by the student (e.g., purchase new/used, rental, hard/softcover, digital/Ebook).
Connect With Us
To learn more about this program and how Las Positas College can help you quickly achieve your career educational goals, please complete the short inquiry form below. You should expect to hear from us soon!