What is CalWORKs?
California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) Program is the state's public assistance program that provides temporary assistance to families with children.
The purpose of the program is to provide financial assistance to promote and enable families to find meaningful employment and become self-sufficient.
How do I qualify?
All students must be low income and have at least one dependent child under the age of 19 to be potentially eligible to participate in the CalWORKs program.
How do I apply?
You can apply online at: https://www.mybenefitscalwin.org/. Then, coordinate with your local county welfare department to find out if you are eligible to participate in the CalWORKs program.
- Alameda County: 1-888-999-4772
- Contra Costa County: 1-877-505-4630
- San Joaquin County: 209-468-1000
I'm eligible. Now what?
- Notify the County of attendance at Las Positas College (the CalWORKs office will assist with this process).
- Attend the two mandatory appointments for the county: Orientation and Assessment. You MUST attend these two county appointments in order for your Welfare-to-Work plan to become approved and to receive monies for books/supplies, transportation, etc.
- Maintain your eligibility by:
- Submitting your monthly attendance report by the 5th of each month.
- Submitting your SAR-7 semi-annual report every 6 months.
Fall 2018 Office Hours