Counseling and various counselors at LPC.

Frequently Asked Questions

Dropping Classes/Grades


Q: How do I drop a class?

Answer: Do NOT expect an instructor to drop you from a class because you are no longer attending. You may drop a class using CLASS-Web. An instructor’s permission is not required.

Q: Is it too late to drop a class?

Answer: Check the current course schedule or CLASS-Web for drop deadlines. For full-term courses, you may drop during the first two weeks of the semester with a No Grade of Record (NGR) and the class will not appear on your transcript. Drop dates for short-term and late start classes can be found on CLASS-Web and are different from full term course deadlines. If you drop after the “NGR” date but before the “W” or withdrawal date, you will earn a “W” grade on your transcript. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, you may not drop after the withdrawal date and will receive a grade for the class. You must petition with the Admissions Office to withdraw with extenuating circumstances.

Q: Will I get my money back?

Answer: Depending on the date when the class is dropped, you may be partially or fully reimbursed according to the fee refund policy. To apply for a fee refund you must complete a fee refund form and submit it to admissions.

Q: Is it bad to earn a “W” grade?

Answer: It is better not to withdraw from classes and earn “W” grades. You are encouraged to carefully plan your course schedule and seek student support services to avoid having to withdraw from classes. Counselors can help with educational planning.

If you earn too many “W” grades, you will be placed on progress probation, which can lead to dismissal. If you are planning on transferring to selective colleges/selective majors (see above), you may also be negatively affected by “W” grades. However, it is usually preferable to earn a “W” grade than a “D” or “F” grade, because “W” grades do not negatively impact your grade point average.

Q: What is grade point average (GPA)?

Answer: GPA is the way to determine the numerical average of all your letter grades.

Q: How do I figure out my grade point average (GPA)?

Answer: Letter grades are given the following grade point values:

Letter Grades Grade Point Values
A (excellent) 4 grade points
B (above average) 3 grade points
C (average) 2 grade points
D (barely passing) 1 grade point
F (failure) 0 grade points

Example: A student who earned an “A” grade in Chemistry 1A would have earned 20 grade points (5 units multiplied by 4 grade points for the “A” grade equals 20 grade points).

Your GPA equals the total number of grade points from all classes (with a letter grade) divided by the total number of units with letter grade. You can figure your GPA with a GPA Calculator.

Q: What is credit/no credit (CR/NCR) grading?

Answer: For some classes (see next question for limitations), you can petition with the admissions office to take a class for credit vs. a letter grade. If you earn a grade of “A”, “B”, or “C”, you will earn credit and units for the class. If you earn a “D” or “F” grade, you will earn no credit (NCR) or units for the class. See the LPC course schedule or your instructor for grading options and CR/NCR deadlines.

Q: What are the limitations on taking courses credit/no credit (CR/NCR)?

Answer: You should not take courses in your major for a credit/no credit grade. Most schools limit the number of CR grades they will accept toward a degree. A few majors at 4-year colleges will not accept any CR grades. A maximum of 12 units of CR grades will be accepted toward an associate’s degree at Las Positas College. Check with a counselor or the college you plan to graduate from for more information.

Counseling Office

Building 1600
First Floor
Room 1616

NEW Priority
Registration Info

If you are a returning student, a potential student or a community member please follow this link for further assistance



Print this Page Email this Page

Page last modified: April 25, 2017