Las Positas College Debit Card
Financial Aid Students:
Our scheduled REFUND date is the date the college transmits your grant funds to Higher One. Your funds will be available in your OneAccount within 24 hours of the Refund Date, and no later than 5pm the following day. Higher One and Las Positas College do not have access to and cannot provide any other detailed information regarding the exact time your account will be funded.
Please Note: Scholarships are NOT processed through Higher One. Only student loans, federal, and state grant funds go through the electronic payment process.
It is as Easy as 1... 2... 3...
1. Financial Aid Refunds
The financial aid payment process begins when awarded aid is authorized and charged to the student's Las Positas College account, paying any eligible outstanding fees and charges or institutional debts. The remainder is released to the student in what is known as a "financial aid refund".
In the past, these funds were printed checks that were mailed from the Chabot-Las Positas District Offices in Pleasanton, approximately a week after the disbursement process began. Delivered by U.S. mail, it typically took one to two weeks, and sometimes more, for a student to receive his/her financial aid refund check. No more waiting for the mail to arrive and no more lost checks in the mail!
2. The Easy Refund (Payment) Method
We are bringing Las Positas College students a new and improved refund process, with the new Las Positas College Debit Card, through Higher One. When students have a refund due to them, Las Positas will “release” these funds to Higher One, who will then distribute the refunds.
Your new Las Positas Debit Card is designed to provide you with increased choice when it comes to receiving your financial aid refunds—including the preferred "Easy Refund" method. Easy Refund is by far the fastest and easiest way to gain access to your refund money—within 24 hours of when Las Positas College releases it.
1. If you have Easy Refund, the money will be available within 24 hours, sometimes within minutes, on your Las Positas College Debit Card and free checking account.
2. If you choose the ACH Transfer, Higher One sends the ACH to the Federal ACH Clearing House. With an ACH Transfer, it may take 2-3 business days for the transaction to be processed and made available to you by your bank.
3. If you choose to stay with the paper check option, Higher One processes the check and prepares it for mailing (checks mailed are processed within the same or next business day depending on when the refund file was received.) With a check, the U.S. mail could take 5-7 business days.
Read the above as a PDF
3. What to Do Now!
|1. Start at www.laspositasdebitcard.com - activate your card|
2. Make sure your address is correct with Las Positas College Admissions & Records Office and on your FAFSA.
3. Within one week of Las Positas receiving your financial aid application results (FAFSA) you should receive your Las Positas Debit Card in the mail.
Don’t throw it away – it’s NOT a credit card application!
It is your Las Positas Debit Card!
4. Please activate your card as soon as you receive it. Instructions will be provided and it's incredibly easy. Click the Get Started link on their Web site. Even if you are not currently expecting a refund from Las Positas College Financial Aid Office, we may have a refund for you in the future. Click here to view a quick demo that shows you how to activate your card.
Higher One ATM is located in Building 1600 on the second floor next to the Financial Aid office.
Higher One Web site for more information
Please be aware that although your card will work in a Non Higher One ATM, there will be fees associated with each transaction that you make. Please visit the Higher One Website for details and use EasyHelp search .
How can I avoid PIN Fees and Non-Higher One ATM Fees?
The OneAccount provides you with quick and easy access to your money. You can avoid the above fees by simply:
- Making a Swipe & Sign transaction...choosing 'credit' at the register to avoid PIN Fees.
- Using a surcharge free Higher One ATM.
For more information about saving money by avoiding fees, please take a look at our Fee Schedule.