Financial Aid

Dependent vs. Independent Status

If you are considered an Independent Student, only your information (and your spouse's, if you are married) is used to calculate the expected family contribution. If you are a Dependent Student, your parents' income information is also used.

Independent Student

You are considered an Independent Student if any one of the following applies to you:

  • You are or will be 24 years of age or older by December 31 of the award year (For example, born before January 1, 1994 (for 2017-2018 FAFSA))
  • You are married, or
  • You have legal dependents of your own, or
  • You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, having served on active duty, or
  • You are a ward of the court or both of your parents are deceased.
  • You are considered a Dependent Student and must supply information about your parents on your FAFSA if none of the conditions above apply to you.

Overriding Dependency Status

It may be possible to have your dependency status officially changed by the Financial Aid Officer by filing a Request of a Change in Dependency Status petition with the financial aid office. There must be extenuating circumstances (such as a family situation involving abuse or other adverse circumstances) involved which are documented by a professional familiar with the situation in order to be considered.

Financial Aid

Building 1600
Room 1650 (second floor)
Tel: 925.424.1580
Fax: 925.449.6038

General Information

Federal School Code: 030357

We have an after-hours DROPBOX
located in the hallway between the
Admissions and Financial Aid Offices,
for your convenience.

Print this Page Email this Page

Page last modified: November 16, 2017