Math Club, Scholarships, & more!
Scholarships are funds made available by sources generally other than the government, such as private businesses, organizations, clubs, colleges, etc., for students to help with the costs of their education. Generally students must compete for scholarships. Awards have many different criteria; they may or may not depend on financial need, may be aimed toward a specific major or type of student, may have a high GPA requirement or may not. Below is a link to LPC's Financial Aid site, which details how to look for and apply for scholarships.
In addition, there are many scholarships available for math students. Some of the scholarships given out this year are:
2012-2013 LPC Mathematics Related Scholarships
- Randy Taylor Math, Computer Science, Engineering, or Science scholarship
- Robert S. Taylor Math, Computer Science, Engineering or Science scholarship
- LPC Mathematics Department scholarships
- Associated Student of LPC Outstanding Student Award in Mathematics (up to four awards)
- LPC AMATYC Competition Awards*
- Mu Alpha Theta Scholarships and Awards
- Sandia National Laboratory Honors Program
If you have any questions, please contact Randy Taylor, Mathematics Instructor at Las Positas College.
Math Club/Mu Alpha Theta Mathematics Honor Society
Mu Alpha Theta is the National High School and Two-Year College Mathematics Honor Society with over 75,000 student members in more than 1,500 schools. We are dedicated to inspiring keen interest in mathematics, developing strong scholarship in the subject, and promoting the enjoyment of mathematics in high school and two-year college students.
Providing a method for the Las Positas College Mathematics Department to:
- recognize and encourage those students who enjoy and excel in mathematics,
- promote scholarships and awards for students interested in mathematics, and
- to encourage participate in the AMATYC Student Mathematics Student League competition.
If you have any questions about the Math Club/Mu Alpha Theta, please contact:
Ashley McHale, 925.424.1351
Ruichira Majumdar, 925.424.1345
Randy Taylor, 925.424.1311