- Full-Time Faculty
- Adjunct Faculty
- Instructional Assistants
- Math Courses & Pathways
- Math Pathways Flow Chart
- Student Resources
- Math Faculty Resources
- Assessment Center
At Las Positas, we are dedicated to providing you with the best academic opportunities so you can achieve your learning goals. Learning Math takes time and dedication. In college, you are expected to spend 2 to 3 hours per unit each week studying, doing homework, math lab assignments and review outside of class in order to be successful! We want to make sure your precious time is streamlined and productive. Here at LPC we offer a number of support services for students enrolled in mathematics classes. These include
- The Mathematics Learning Center
- The Tutorial Center
- Instructor Office Hours
- Online Tutoring
- Smartshops Series
- Online Resources (online links to math help)
The Mathematics Learning Center, located in the Integrated Learning Center (ILC), room 601, offers FREE drop-in math help to students enrolled in LPC mathematics classes. The Mathematics Learning Center is staffed by full- and part-time mathematics instructors at LPC.
The Mathematics Learning Center will open during regular hours until the last day of the semester. The Mathematics Learning Center will be closed for all school holidays and during Summer Session. There may be special
finals week Mathematics Learning Center hours. To find out more information about this, please contact the MLC coordinator
or contact your instructor.
Mathematics Learning Center Spring 2020Hours of Operation
back to top
STATISTICS HELP is available in the Mathematics Learning Center on a limited basis and at selected times. Consult the schedule posted in the ILC for more detailed information.
The Tutorial Center is located in the Multi-Disciplinary Building (MDB), room 2401. It provides
- Tutoring (scheduled & drop-in)
- Reading & Writing Center (RAW)
- Relaxed Study
- Study Group Rooms
For more information, visit the Tutorial Center website by clicking here.
All full-time, and many part-time, instructors offer office hours. This is time the instructor has set aside to help students. Take advantage of this opportunity for one-on-one help from your instructor. Instructor office hours are published in the course syllabus and, for full-time instructors, on their office door.
Las Positas College offers a convenient way for students to receive FREE online tutoring through NetTutor. NetTutor provides live tutoring in most subjects. As you’re working on homework or writing papers, we encourage you to take full advantage of online tutoring! NetTutor tutors are available for live sessions, to answer submitted questions, and to review papers 24 hours a day, any day of the week. All questions and writing submissions to NetTutor will be returned with your tutor’s comments within 48 hours. As a currently enrolled student at Las Positas College, you can connect with a tutor immediately. All NetTutor tutors are highly qualified professional tutors, available anytime day or night! http://laspositascollege.edu/onlinelearning/online_services/tutoring.php
You're invited to attend a series of workshops to give you information and strategies for career and transfer success! These workshops will be led by LPC counselors and faculty and will give you an opportunity to learn from experienced professionals. You can attend one or any number of workshops that interest you. As space is limited, registering for a workshop ahead of time is encouraged! http://www.laspositascollege.edu/smartshops
MyMathLab gives you access to the latest in online educational supports to aid in your mastery of the concepts. Some of the features of MML include:
- Interactive Assignments to learn the skills and concepts. Interactive assignments will combine video lectures, practice examples with personalized feedback based on your response and more!
- Quiz yourself on a section to test your understanding. These quizzes can also personalize your homework by marking correct all of the concepts you have mastered, leaving you with just the concepts you need to focus on left in the homework.
- Personalized homework for a section. Learning supports will be provided as you do your homework, such as "see an example", "work in steps", and more!
- eTextbook with videos, animations, examples and more. The multimedia textbook is the exact text of your book but has several added learning features you can utilize to learn the material. There are video clips of worked examples and links that say "You Try It" so you can test your understanding. Along the left margin of the text you'll see the icons for these powerful learning tools.
Want to have access to MML but your instructor does not use it? “Enroll” in a generic course here: http://www.pearsoncustom.com/ca/laspositas_math/
There are many great resources available on the internet to assist you in your mathematical studies.
Math Study Skills (Mission College Website)
Math Study Skills (Saint Louis University)
Open Stax College
Khan Academy Online Lecture Series
M.I.T. Open Courseware (Mathematics)
Wolfram Alpha (Computational Search Engine)