Add a New SLO
To add an SLO into eLumen, follow these steps:
- After logging into eLumen, click your department link under Coordinator at the top of the screen. (If you ever need to get back there, just click Home link at the top of the menu on the left or the eLumen icon above that).
- Click View Courses.
- Choose the course to which you want to add SLOs and assessments.
- Click Course SLOs.
- Click Add a new SLO.
- Enter your SLO into the text box. Click Continue.
- You can either use an existing 5-point rubric (with levels set at 0-4) or create a 5-point rubric of your own. Either way, your rubric should mirror the college's Generic 5 Point rubric:
0 = No Demonstrated Achievement: Student is 59 percent or less proficient in the activity
1 = Below Average: Student is between 60 and 69 percent proficient in the activity
2 = Average: Student is between 70 and 79 percent proficient in the activity
3 = Above Average: Student is between 80 and 89 percent proficient in the activity
4 = Mastery: Student is between 90 and 100 percent proficient in the activity
To use an existing rubric, click Search, then click Select next to the one you want to use. To use the Generic 5 Point Rubric, choose Las Positas College in the drop-down next to Owner, type "generic 5 point rubric" into the Text Search box, and click Search. Click Select to choose the rubric. Click Use this rubric - it's the one I want.
To create a new 5-point rubric, click the radio button at the top for Create a new rubric, give the rubric a name, make sure your area is selected next to Owner, and create rubric levels 0-4 by clicking Add rubric level and filling out the fields. Click Continue when you are done.
- Select next to the appropriate magnitude scale level. Here, you will be setting the appropriate "size" of the intended achievement. For one discrete student activity, choose Assignment / Point in Time. For an assessment across the entire course or for a major course-ending activity, choose Final Project or Exam / Full Semester.
For an assessment across the first half of the course, choose Mid-Term Project or Exam. There are two Student Services choices that you can ignore: Length of Program and Academic Year.
- Select the appropriate Standard of Evidence level. Select the number 6.
- Click Save and Close.
- Now you need to map, or connect, your SLO to a core competency. Click Map SLOs to SLOs, then click Course Matrices. In the drop-down under Select a predefined set of courses, select All (your discipline) courses. In the drop-down under Select a predefined set of outcomes, select ALL INSTITUTIONAL OUTCOMES. Then Click to Generate the Matrix.
- The college's five core competencies will be listed across the top, and your new SLO will be on the left. Simply click inside the appropriate box to map the SLO to one or more competencies.
That's it; you are finished adding an SLO! To measure your SLO, you need to add an assessment. Learn how to add an assessment.