The Job Market
Computer scientists typically have 4-year degrees. Most Computer Science students at Las Positas College intend to transfer to 4-year programs.
Students who already have a 4-year degree and are taking classes to update their skills should look at Computer Programming, Computer Programming for the Web or Computer Networking.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics1, computer programmers in the Bay Area earn approximately $30.41 per hour.
Here are some resources to build your network and learn more about job opportunities in the Computer Science field.
General job boards
Computer industry information
- Bioinformatics - learn more about
- Java is a widely used language for web-based and some business programming.
- C++ is the language for most heavy-duty business programming.
- Project Management skills are important for people who wish to manage large, complex deployments.
Places to start your career
1) U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA National Compensation Survey April 2003 Washington: 2003. Hourly wage is for all workers, total mean, category of "Computer Programmers."