The Job Market
Computer scientists typically have 4-year degrees. Most Computer Programming students at Las Positas College already have a 4-year degree and are taking classes to update their skills. Students who intend to transfer to 4-year programs should look at Computer Science – AS (Transfer Preparation)
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics*, computer programmers in the Bay Area earn approximately $30.41 per hour.
Here are some resources to build your network and learn more about job opportunities in the Computer Programming field.
General job boards
Computer industry information
- Bioinformatics – learn more about
- Java is a widely used language for web-based and some business programming.
- C++ is the language for most heavy-duty business programming.
- Project Management skills are important for people who wish to manage large, complex deployments.
Places to start your career
* U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics
San Francisco–Oakland–San Jose, CA National Compensation Survey April 2003
Washington: 2003.Hourly wage is for all workers, total mean, category of “Computer Programmers.”