These are the steps which need to be followed in order to prepare yourself for starting school:
The CalWORKs Office at Las Positas College
- Make an appointment for Intake and Orientation
- Must bring verification of cash grant/eligibility
- Copy of schedule, if registered
- Fill out Verification of Education Form for the county
- Review county/college forms in order to receive supportive services
- Ensure childcare needs are being met for classes
- Career Counseling/Needs Assesment
- Within the first semester meet with CalWORKs Counselor for Student Education Plan
- Review Welfare-to-Work plan for compliance with county regulations.
- Work with Career Ladder Coordinator if hours are not sufficient to meet county requirements.
- Apply to Las Positas College
- Meet with CalWORKs Academic Counselor
- Register for classes
- Attend English and Math assessments,
- Apply for Financial Aid
- Apply for EOPS/CARE
- Attend a new student orientation
The County Offices
- Notify the County of attendance at Las Positas College (the CalWORKs office will assist with this process)
Books and Supplies Assistance
In order to receive supportive services such as childcare, books and supplies assistance and transportation you must complete and turn in the following forms to the CalWORKs office:
- Books and Supplies Worksheet (available online)
- Verification of Books for classes from the online Book Store efollet
- Copy of your current class schedule.
- Must complete a monthly progress report for the county.
The County may require that you attend a day Assessment in order to approve your education plan.
While these steps may seem long and complicated now, you are beginning an important journey to your own economic independence. Remember the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step!