Early Childhood Development

Early Childhood Development-AA Degree

The early childhood development courses and programs are designed to prepare students for employment working with young children. A broad range of employment opportunities are available by fulfilling the various certificate and degree requirements listed on the following pages. Completion of the appropriate courses or programs will allow employment in state supported or private programs as Associate Teacher, Teacher, Master Teacher, or Director of an early education and care center. Family child care providers can benefit from courses designed to advance their skills both as care providers and entrepreneurs of their own in-home business.

The instructional program provides students with a fundamental understanding of the principles of child growth and development, as well as experience in the application of these principles.

Completion of certificate programs dovetails with the California Child Development Permit as well as the requirements of Community Care Licensing for Title 22 programs. The Child Development Permit is required for employees of California State Funded Programs. Title 22 Programs are those that are privately owned and operated either for-profit or non-profit. Many early childhood development units are transferable to four-year institutions for elective credit but a counselor should be consulted for specific transfer information.

Print this Page Email this Page

Page last modified: April 25, 2017