Student Success Institute
Featuring Dr. Vincent Tinto
October 24 - 25, 2008
Friday: 10am to 4pm
Saturday: 9m to 3pm
Dr. Vincent Tinto, one of the country's foremost experts in student success and retention, will be at Las Positas College. Dr. Tinto joins us to present current student success strategies; this Institute will be focused on LPC utilizing our own data and present opportunities for building new alliances across campus. Look for emails and visit this page for updates as we get closer to the event.
Professor Tinto received his Ph.D. in education and sociology from The University of Chicago. He is currently Distinguished University Professor at Syracuse University and chair of the higher education program. He has carried out research and has written extensively on higher education, particularly on student retention and the impact of learning communities on student growth and attainment. For more information, please read Dr. Tinto's biography.
In preparation for Dr. Tinto's visit he has sent us a number of articles for folks to read. These readings are recommended but not required to be completed to attend the institute.
- Understanding the Supplemental Instruction (SI) Model, David R. Arendale (81K PDF)
- Classrooms as Communities, Vincent Tinto (2.5MB PDF)
- Cooperative Learning, David W. Johnson, Roger T. Johnson, & Karl A. Smith (65K PDF)
- Why Learning Communities? Why Now?, K. Patricia Cross (416K PDF)
- Access without Support is Not Opportunity, Kathy Engstrom & Vincent Tinto (1.92MB PDF)
- Collaborative Learning Comes of Age, Zelda F. Gamson (668K PDF)
- Learning Better Together, Vincent Tinto (328K PDF)
- Blending a Culture of Engagement in the Community Collge, Kay M. McClenney & Thomas Greene (76K PDF)
- Preparing Students for Educated Living: Virtues of Problem-Based Learning Across the Higher Education Curriculum, Dave S. Knowlton (51K PDF)
- CATs: A Student’s Gateway to Better Learning, Mimi Steadman & Marilla Svinicki (139K PDF)
- Using Classroom Assessment to Change Both Teaching and Learning, Mimi Steadman (162K PDF)
- Taking Student Retention Seriously: Rethinking the First Year of College, Vincent Tinto (133K PDF)
- Mi Casa is Not Exactly Like Your House, Vasti Torres (843K PDF)