LPC Loaner Laptop Computer Policy
Printable LPC Library Loaner Laptop Computer Policy
The Las Positas College Library is pleased to offer laptop computers with wireless network connection for use on the LPC Campus for students, These laptops are configured to provide you with the same functionality as the other networked Library computers, you may search the Internet, type your papers, create presentations and Excel charts. You can not print from these laptops.
Currently enrolled students of Las Positas College may borrow available laptop computers by presenting an LPC picture ID. We regret that we cannot lend laptop computers to administrators, faculty, staff, visitors, or members of the community.
Students will be asked to read and sign the Library’s Loaner Laptop Use Policy the first time they check out a laptop and each semester thereafter. Students must sign a 4-hour Laptop Computer Contract each time they check out a laptop. The student borrower is responsible for the proper use and safe return of the laptop computer and all peripheral devices. Student users must able to use the installed applications. The Library staff cannot offer software and hardware support.
Laptop computers may be used on the Las Positas College Campus only.
Use of Laptop Computers
- Students are responsible for the safe return of the laptop and associated peripherals to the Circulation Desk. If you do not return the laptop, your ability to borrow library materials is blocked immediately, fees may be assessed, and a hold may be placed your LPC records.
- Do not leave laptops unattended at any time. Laptops that are found unattended will be returned to the Circulation Desk by library staff and it will be noted in the student’s circulation record. If this occurs a second time - the student will lose laptop borrowing privileges for the semester.
- Students are responsible for the full replacement cost of the laptop, or any peripherals damaged or made inoperable in any way including loss, spilled food and/or drink while it is checked out to the student.
- All user files will be removed from the laptops hard disk after each use. Anything you save to the hard drive will be lost. The library is not responsible for deleted files. Save your files often to removable media (we recommend using a USB flash drive).
- Printing and Saving: Printing is not available on the laptop computers. You must save files to a USB drive, CD, DVD, or email them to yourself. You may then open the file to print on one of the student-access desktop computers.
- Audio files must be played only when using headphones. These can also be checked out at the Circulation Desk.
- Network Connection: The laptops have access to the Internet, Library resources, and email through a wireless network connection. They can be used anywhere wireless is available on the LPC Campus.
- Power: The laptops have battery power. However, an AC adapter will be provided in case the laptop battery is not fully charged. Electrical outlets are available throughout the Campus.
- Students are responsible for any violations of the Las Positas College Library Computer Use Policy and the Las Positas College Computer Center Policies and Guidelines and all other applicable LPC policies, State or Federal laws or contractual agreements.
- Laptop computers are checked out at the Circulation Desk. Failure to return the laptop or pay for damages or fines will result in a loss of borrowing privileges and a block on your records.
- Availability is on a first-come, first-served basis… no reservations.
- Eligible students must present a valid Las Positas College photo W-ID at the Circulation Desk, as well as read and sign the Library’s Laptop Use Loaner Policy the first time they check out a laptop and each semester thereafter, and sign the 4-hour Laptop Computer Contract about the student’s responsibilities and potential liabilities each time the laptop computer is charged out. Only one (1) laptop computer may be borrowed per person.
- Loan duration is limited to four (4) hours maximum.
- There will be one (1) renewal permitted, based on availability. (Availability is determined at the discretion of the Circulation Supervisor on duty.)
- Users must return the laptops to a Circulation Desk staff. Laptops should not be left on the unattended Circulation counter.
- Laptops must be returned no later than one-half (1/2) hour before closing regardless of time charged out. Late fees ($10) will be charged if laptops are returned later than one-half hour before closing.
- The student is responsible for the safe return of the laptop and associated peripherals to the Circulation Desk.
- The personnel on duty will check to see that the laptop and peripheral devices are returned intact. This will take approximately 10 minutes. It is highly recommended that students wait while the laptop is examined and they should plan for this delay.
Fines and Fees
- Late fees of $10 per hour are assessed for overdue laptops and peripherals.
- Fees for damaged laptop equipment will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. IT Department personnel will establish the cost of repair that will be passed on to the student at fault.
- A replacement cost of $1,600 will be charged to any student who fails to return a laptop computer (damaged, lost or stolen). Fees for damaged or lost components: $69 for batteries; $39 for AC Power adapter; $59 laptop carrying case; internal components based on cost of replacement.
Gateway M-456E Laptop Specifications
- Intel Centrino, Core 2 Duo
- T7200 @ 2.00 GHz
- 2.00 GHz, 1 GB of RAM
- 15-inch Display
- 80 GB Hard Drive
- CD-R, DVD-R/RW
- Gateway AC Adapter
- Laptop carrying case
- Headphones available
Library Telephone: 925.424.1150
Library Fax: 925.606.7249