Canvas for Faculty
Funded by a grant from the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office, ConferZoom is a web conferencing system used by administrators, faculty and staff of the CCC system. It runs on technology powered by Zoom, but it is branded for the CCCs.
Faculty can use ConferZoom within Canvas to communicate with their students in real time. It is mainly used in online courses for office hours, tutoring sessions, group work or for other reasons whereby synchronous communications enhance student learning.
If you want to use ConferZoom within Canvas, adhere to these important points:
- You need to sign up for a ConferZoom account at conferzoom.org. When you do, you need to use your @laspositascollege.edu address. Make sure you also use your @laspositascollege.edu email address in Canvas. The two emails addresses must match.
- Having a Zoom account IS NOT the same as having a ConferZoom account. If you have a Zoom account, you still need to sign up for a ConferZoom account.
- If you have a ConferZoom account at a college outside of the CLPCCD, you will not be able to use it in our district's Canvas system. You will need to sign up for a second ConferZoom account for LPC.
- To verify that you have signed up for an educational account, which is what you get when you sign up at conferzoom.org, log into conferzoom.org, then click Account Profile on the left. For Account Type, it will say Education.
- You will need to enable the ConferZoom link in your Canvas course by going into your Canvas course, clicking Settings - Navigation, then enabling ConferZoom so it shows in your course navigation menu. To do this, click the 3 dots to the right of ConferZoom, and choose Enable. Make sure to click Save at the bottom.
- If absolutely nothing works for you AND you can log into conferzoom.org, and create a Meeting (with or without your LPC email address), you can set up a meeting, copy the invitation to the meeting and send to your students. They then can meet you outside of Canvas.
- The first time you (and students) use ConferZoom on a computer, follow the on-screen instructions for downloading and installing the software.
- Students do not need an account to participate in a ConferZoom meeting within their Canvas course. View ConferZoom Student Information.
- If you need to change your Canvas email address to match what is in conferzoom.org, view how to do this in Class Web.
- To track student attendance of ConferZoom sessions within Canvas, read Attendance Reports and Recordings. To track student attendance of ConferZoom sessions outside of Canvas, you will need to enable registration for meetings, which will generate attendance reports. As a workaround, you can have students send you a private chat during the ConferZoom session with their names. When the session ends, the chat should be saved automatically to your computer. Alternatively, you can always just copy the contents of the chat, and paste them into a document for your record-keeping.
- If you make a cloud recording of your meeting and want to share with students later, make sure you enable the "Publicly" sharing option. You can then copy the shareable link, and send it to your students.
If you are using ConferZoom and are concerned that people outside of your class will virtually hack, or "zoombomb", your meeting, follow these tips:
- Keep your Zoom clients (pcs, macs, tablets, mobile devices, etc) updated. Zoom updates and patches regularly to improve the users’ experience as well as to add security when issues are discovered. Protect your events by keeping your Zoom apps up to date.
- Share invitations with students.
- Utilize the Security toolbar icon in your meeting.
- Utilize password options
- Avoid clicking on unverified links that may appear in Chat windows
For more specifics, read these articles:
- 6 Tips to Deter Zoombombers
- How to Keep Uninvited Guests Out of Your Zoom Event
- Top Ways Zoom Hosts & Admins Can Ensure a Secure Meeting Experience
- Secure Your Zoom Meetings with Waiting Rooms
- Tips & Tricks: Teachers Educating on Zoom
- ConferZoom host and member guide
- Keep Teaching with ConferZoom (video) | (slides)
- View video on using ConferZoom
- Live training webinars
- Guidance for Recording Class Sessions with TechConnect (Confer) Zoom
- Record via ConferZoom
- Captioning a ConferZoom recording using 3C Media and embed into Canvas
- Other ConferZoom guides
- ConferZoom support