Canvas for Faculty
eLumen Integration with Canvas
The instructions below show faculty how to move SLOs and their accompanying rubrics from eLumen to Canvas, grade assessments in Canvas, then import assessment scores into eLumen.
Faculty who have discipline coordinator access in eLumen can synchronize SLOs and rubrics. Faculty who don't have that access will have to wait for the coordinators to do so before grading and importing scores.
Preparing the Integration (Discipline Coordinators Only)
- Log into eLumen with your W number and password.
- Choose Discipline Coordinator from the drop-down next to your name at the top left. Make sure your discipline is selected in the drop-down next to that.
- Select SLOs & Assessments - SLO Listing - then the CSLO subtab (the latter two should occur by default).
- Select CSLO Synchronization at the top of the course box. All of your SLOs will be
sent to Canvas; you can’t choose specific ones.
Click the radio button for Las Positas College main account, then click Send Outcomes.
Integration Within Canvas (All Faculty)
Go to your course in Canvas.
Click Outcomes in the course navigation menu.
- Click the Find button.
- Open the following folders: Account Standards, Las Positas College, the name of your
discipline, the name of your course.
- Click the first outcome, then click Import at the bottom to move it into the class.
Click OK in the dialog box that pops up. Repeat for the rest of the outcomes. Outcomes
have to be imported one at a time.
- Create an assignment in Canvas. When creating the assignment, do NOT choose External Tool for Submission Type. Save or Save and Publish the assignment.
- On the next screen, click Add Rubric.
- Delete the default rubric by clicking the Trash icon.
- Click Find Outcome.
- Select your outcome, then click Import at the bottom. Your rubric is attached to the
outcome. Click OK in the dialog box that pops up.
- Check the box in front of Use this rubric for assignment grading, then click Create
- A dialog box pops up, asking if you want to change the assignment points to match
the rubric. Since most assignments won't be worth 4 points, click Leave different.
Grading in Canvas (All Faculty)
- Go to the SpeedGrader for the first student, and click View Rubric.
- Score the student by clicking in the appropriate ratings box. That same number of
points shows in the Pts box. You will change the student's total score after giving
any feedback and clicking Save.
- In the Grade box under Assessment, change the student's total score to whatever the
rubric score equates to. In this example, the rubric score of 3 out of 4 equates to
a total score of 8 out of 10. Click Submit. The total score of 8 gets recorded into
the Canvas gradebook. The rubric score of 3 will be sent to eLumen.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 above for the rest of the students.
Importing Scores into eLumen (All Faculty)
- Log into eLumen as faculty.
- Navigate to the course for which scores are to be imported (you might see it by default). If an assessment hasn't already been created for the SLO you have scored, you will need to add an assessment.
- Once the assessment is created properly, click the underlined arrow icon that represents
Import LMS Scores.
- Make sure your course is selected from the Select a Course drop-down. If you want
to confirm your rubric scores for the students, click the click the + sign next to
the assignment. When confirmed, click Import these Scores.
- Once the scores are successfully imported, click View Scorecard.
- You will see the scores. Next, finish the process by clicking Save and Continue to
Reflection to add your reflections.