Canvas for Faculty
eLumen Integration with Canvas
The instructions below show faculty how to move SLOs and their accompanying rubrics from eLumen to Canvas, grade assessments in Canvas, then import assessment scores into eLumen.
Faculty who have discipline coordinator access in eLumen can synchronize SLOs and rubrics. Faculty who don't have that access will have to wait for the coordinators to do so before grading and importing scores.
Preparing the Integration (Discipline Coordinators Only)
The steps in this section assume that SLOs have already been entered into eLumen. It helps that assessments have also been created in eLumen, but you can also create those later in the integration process.
- Log into eLumen with your W number and password.
- Choose Discipline Coordinator from the drop-down next to your name at the top left. Make sure your discipline is selected in the drop-down next to that.
- Select SLOs & Assessments - SLO Listing - then the CSLO subtab (the latter two should occur by default).
- Select CSLO Synchronization at the top of the course box. All of your SLOs will be
sent to Canvas; you can’t choose specific ones.
Click the radio button for Las Positas College main account, then click Send Outcomes.
Integration Within Canvas (All Faculty)
STEPS 2-5 BELOW ONLY HAVE TO BE DONE ONCE UNTIL YOU ADD NEW SLOS TO ELUMEN THAT YOU WANT TO INTEGRATE WITH CANVAS. IF YOU DO THAT, PERFORM THESE STEPS AGAIN.
Go to your course in Canvas.
Click Outcomes in the course navigation menu.
- Click the Find button.
- Open the following folders: Account Standards, Chabot-Las Positas Co..., the name
of your discipline, the name of your course.
- Click the first outcome, then click Import at the bottom to move it into the class.
Click OK in the dialog box that pops up. Repeat for the rest of the outcomes. Outcomes
have to be imported one at a time.
- Create an assignment or quiz in Canvas.
When creating an assignment, do NOT choose External Tool for Submission Type. Save and Publish the assignment. On the next screen, click Add Rubric.
When creating a quiz, use an essay question. After clicking Save and Publish, click the 3 dots, and choose Show Rubric.
On the next screen, click Add Rubric.
- Delete the default rubric by clicking the Trash icon.
- Click Find Outcome.
- Select your outcome, then click Import at the bottom. Your rubric is attached to the
outcome. Click OK in the dialog box that pops up.
- Change the title of the rubric, check the box in front of Use this rubric for assignment
grading, then click Create Rubric. When creating a quiz, if you don't have the above
checkbox, don't worry; it will still work.
- A dialog box pops up, asking if you want to change the assignment points to match
the rubric. Since most assignments won't be worth 4 points, click Leave different.
Grading in Canvas (All Faculty)
- Go to the SpeedGrader for the first student, and click View Rubric.
- For an assignment, score the student by clicking in the appropriate ratings box. That
same number of points shows in the Pts box. You will change the student's total score
after giving any feedback and clicking Save.
In the Grade box under Assessment, change the student's total score to whatever the rubric score equates to. In this example, the rubric score of 3 out of 4 equates to a total score of 8 out of 10. Click Submit. The total score of 8 gets recorded into the Canvas gradebook. The rubric score of 3 will be sent to eLumen.
- For a quiz, select a rubric score, and click Save. On the left side, give the student a score for the essay question, and click Update Scores.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 above for the rest of the students.
Importing Scores into eLumen (All Faculty)
- Log into eLumen as faculty.
- Navigate to the course for which scores are to be imported (you might see it by default). If an assessment hasn't already been created for the SLO you have scored, you will need to add an assessment.
- Once the assessment is created properly, click the underlined arrow icon that represents
Import LMS Scores.
- Make sure your course is selected from the Select a Course drop-down. If you want
to confirm your rubric scores for the students, click the click the + sign next to
the assignment. When confirmed, click Import these Scores.
- Once the scores are successfully imported, click View Scorecard.
- You will see the scores. Next, finish the process by clicking Save and Continue to
Reflection to add your reflections.