Canvas for Faculty
Proctorio - FAQs for Faculty
What is Proctorio?
Proctorio is a remote proctoring tool integrated into Canvas quizzes that helps maintain the academic integrity of online exams. It allows instructors to choose settings that manage how an exam is proctored. Those settings include recording students and the room they are in via their web cam, recording their web browsing during an exam, locking down their web browser, and disabling printing.
How does Proctorio work?
Proctorio uses the Google Chrome browser and the Proctorio extension for Chrome (see below) to communicate with students' computer only during an exam. Depending on the settings chosen by the instructor, it can capture movements, and when students complete the exam, it can send video and other data to the instructor for review.
If there is student activity that the instructor chose not to allow during the exam, Proctorio can flag that activity. It is then up to the instructor to review video, audio, and/or other data before deciding if any action is warranted.
How can I prepare for Proctorio?
- If you do not have the Chrome browser, which, incidentally, is the preferred browser
for Canvas, you will need to download and install Chrome. You must use a computer or laptop (Windows or Mac) with a working web cam and microphone.
Currently, Proctorio does not work with mobile devices. You will also need to install the Proctorio extension for Chrome. The video below walks you through the process.
- Prior to implementing Proctorio with your students, make sure to read LPC's Grace Guidance for Faculty: Cameras, Recording, and Proctoring.
- For online instructors, include language about Proctorio in your welcome letter to students. View a welcome letter template with Proctorio language.
- For all instructors, include language about Proctorio in your syllabus. View a syllabus template with Proctorio language.
- Enable Secure Exam Proctor in Settings - Navigation. This allows you to use Proctorio with students.
- At the beginning of the semester, give students a practice quiz, low-stakes quiz or extra-credit quiz using Proctorio to get them used to it. Enable all of the settings.
Are there any other best practices to follow?
Yes. Here they are:
- Don't change the name of an exam after it has been created.
- Set a time limit for your exam. In fact, Proctorio requires it.
- In your Canvas quiz options, make sure to enable both "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses (Incorrect Questions Will Be Marked in Student Feedback)" and "Only Once After Each Attempt".
- Save your profiles so you can use them for each individual exam without having to re-create them.
How do I enable Proctorio?
Where do I choose Proctorio settings?
How do I review student results?
How do I optimize Proctorio for students with disabilities?
When setting up an exam that allows the use of screen readers, use the following Proctorio Exam Settings:
For the Recording options, select the "Record video", "Record Audio" and "Record screen" option. The "Record screen" setting allows you to later monitor what the test-taker views during the exam.
Under Lock Down Options, the "Only one screen" option will ensure that your student disables another screen. The "Close Open tabs" option will prompt your student to close any additional tab in the browser before the exam starts. Also, when you choose "Allow New Tabs," they will be able to access the screen reader once they access the exam.
Under Verification Options, make sure to enable the "Verify video" and "Verify audio" features, as well as the "Verify Desktop" option.
Leave the "Disable Printing" option inactive. That way, students will be able to highlight the text so it can be recognized and used on the screen reader.
What if I have a technical problem or just want to get more information about Proctorio?
Proctorio offers 24/7 support and can answer your questions by chat by clicking the shield icon in Chrome, by email at email@example.com, or by phone at 1-866-948-2039 or 1-480-428-0692. You can also visit the Proctorio Support Center.
Is there an informational page for students?
Student Support from Canvas
24x7 Live Chat, Email, Knowledge Base
(also available from Help icon in Canvas)