Tutr 200 for all LPC students!
All students who receive tutoring are registered in this course the first time they sign in. This course will not be listed on your transcript or grades but may be listed on your weekly schedule. Please do not drop this course. There is no fee for Tutr 200. It is used for tracking and funding purposes.
About the Tutor Training Program:
LPC students who pass classes with an A or B and enjoy working with people are encouraged to be tutors. The Las Positas College Tutorial Center offers all LPC students free tutoring in many classes and is dedicated to students’ educational success; therefore, we train our peer tutors to do the best job possible. All tutors must take a training class at the beginning of their tutorial experience in order to know how to manage tutorial sessions, understand the ethics of tutoring, enhance communication and listening skills, work with each learning style and avoid common mistakes in tutoring. Tutor training is conducted through a variety of educational means to best meet the schedules and learning needs of the tutors. Advanced levels of training are available for those wishing to learn more about learning disabilities, leadership and innovative techniques. The training is designed to fulfill the College Reading and Learning Association’s certification requirements. Tutoring may be done for pay or college credit.
TUTR 17: Tutor Training
An introduction to tutoring and tutoring skills. The course will provide a conceptual frame work of tutoring to guide student's work in leading effective tutoring sessions. Take this course if you are tutoring for pay or volunteer.
TUTR 29 - Independent Study--Tutoring
Credits: .50 to 2.00
Practical experience in tutoring to help other students learn and succeed. Includes training in tutoring techniques relevant to and combined with assigned hours of applied tutoring. Take this course if you are tutoring for credit.
Important Tutor Training Information
1. The Tutor Training Class (Tutr 17) meets for two hours from 11-12:40 on September 5, 12, & 19. It meets one hour the first Friday of October, November & December.
2. Read the LPC Tutor Handbook. Answer the questions on the guided study sheet is available from Pauline Trummel.
You will not receive credit for the Tutor Training class or be able to continue tutoring unless all the assignments are completed by the dates given in the syllabus. See Pauline if you have questions.
All volunteers must view the "Tutor Tutor" site (listed below) and the Tutor Lingo modules before beginning tutoring
- http://www.smccd.net/accounts/perezf/tap/TutorTutor/welcome.html "Tutor Tutor" is independent training developed by LPC and revised by Skyline College. New tutors must read and write a summary of what they learned and how they will apply the material covered in Tutor Tutor.
- The TutorLingo link is available from Pauline Trummel, Tutorial Programs Instructor/Coordinator
Helpful resources for tutors:
- http://resources.jjay.cuny.edu/erc/tutoring/index.php is an excellent resource and guide for ESL tutors.
- CASAA Resources (Canadian Association of Student Activity Advisors) provides helpful tutoring tips for beginning tutors as well as experienced tutors. If you are a new tutor, please make sure to read this excellent information.