NNTUT 200 is a FREE course for all LPC students! (It does not go on your transcript)
All students who receive tutoring are registered in this course the first time they sign in. This course will not be listed on your transcript or grades but may be listed on your weekly schedule. Please do not drop this course. There is no fee for Tutr 200. It is used for tracking and funding purposes.
About the Tutor Training Program:
LPC students who pass classes with an A or B and enjoy working with people are encouraged to be tutors. The Las Positas College Tutorial Center offers all LPC students free tutoring in many classes and is dedicated to students’ educational success; therefore, we train our peer tutors to do the best job possible. All tutors must take a training class at the beginning of their tutorial experience in order to know how to manage tutorial sessions, understand the ethics of tutoring, enhance communication and listening skills, work with each learning style and avoid common mistakes in tutoring. Tutor training is conducted through a variety of educational means to best meet the schedules and learning needs of the tutors. Advanced levels of training are available for those wishing to learn more about learning disabilities, leadership and innovative techniques. The training is designed to fulfill the College Reading and Learning Association’s certification requirements. Tutoring may be done for pay or college credit.
TUTR 17A: Tutoring Theory and Practice I
Training for college tutors to acquire specific skills and techniques for tutoring in academic and vocational subject areas and basic skills. The course will provide a conceptual framework of tutoring to guide students in leading effective tutoring sessions. Required course for all beginning tutors.
TUTR 17B: Tutoring Theory and Practice II
Intermediate training class for college tutors. Tutors will acquire specific skills and techniques for tutoring in academic subjects, vocational subjects and basic skills at an intermediate level. Required course for second semester tutors participating in the Las Positas College Tutorial Program. Prerequisite: TUTR 17A
TUTR 17C: Tutoring Theory and Practice III
Advanced training for college tutors to obtain skills and techniques in academic and vocational subject areas and basic skills remediation. Emphasis upon leading group tutoring sessions, mentoring new tutors, and tutoring students with learning disabilities. Required course for third semester tutors participating in the Las Positas College Tutorial Program. Prerequisite: TUTR 17B
Important Tutor Training Information
Tutoring Theory and Practice I (Tutr 17A) meets in a "boot camp" method -- 3 Friday sessions at the beginning of each semester.
You will not receive credit for the Tutor Training class or be able to continue tutoring unless all the assignments are completed by the dates given in the syllabus. See Jin if you have questions.
Helpful resources for tutors:
- http://resources.jjay.cuny.edu/erc/tutoring/index.php is an excellent resource and guide for ESL tutors.
- CASAA Resources (Canadian Association of Student Activity Advisors) provides helpful tutoring tips for beginning tutors as well as experienced tutors. If you are a new tutor, please make sure to read this excellent information.
Steps to enroll for tutoring:
- Sign up for tutoring with our free Penji app. You will need your zonemail address to login.
- Use our drop-in, scheduled, or paper drop-off tutoring. Or just stop by room 2401 during our in-person drop-in times!
- Register for the Supervised Tutoring Course (NTUT 200, CRN 22801) on CLASSWeb; it is free, ungraded, non-credit, and not on your official transcript. You can
register before or after the add deadline.
For more information, please contact:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tutoring Center: Room 2401
- Tuesdays 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
- Wednesday 10:30 am - 6:00 pm
- Thursday 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Call (925) 424-1450 during hours listed above