Tutor Job Description
- Is tutoring for you?
- Do you enjoy helping others?
- Are there certain classes that you really enjoyed?
- Can you commit at least 6 hours per week to tutor for a semester?
- Would you like work experience that looks good on a resume or college application?
Provide individual and small group tutoring to students in the Tutorial Center located in the Study, Tutoring and Reading Room in MDB 2401. Assist students in improving academic achievement by meeting with them on a regular basis to clarify learning problems and work on study skills. Other assistance might include: reviewing class material, discussing the text, predicting test questions, formulating ideas for papers, or working on solutions to problems. Tutoring is a supplement to classroom teaching. Tutors are not expected to know everything about the subject for which they tutor.
- Complete required 10 hours of tutor training (first semester only).
- Check your file every day that you are campus for new assignments and announcements
- Contact assigned students within two days of receiving the assignment.
- Be punctual for all scheduled tutoring sessions. It is your responsibility to notify us as soon as possible if you cannot meet with your students. Please call 925.424.1450 or 925.424.1471.
- Complete and hand in all required paperwork.
- An A or B grade in the course(s) to be tutored and instructor recommendation.
- Responsible, dependable, honest, and mature.
- Friendly, patient, and sensitive to a diversity of students.
- Tutors can work for either academic credit or pay. One to two units of credit can be earned.
- Paid tutors earn $8.75 an hour for both individual and group tutoring.
- Tutoring will be assigned according to student demand, tutor availability, and seniority.
- Employment as a tutor does not guarantee a minimum number of work hours.
Application and Tutor Hiring Process
Complete the Tutor Application Packet ( pick it up from the Tutorial Center staff Monday-Friday.) If you have questions about the position, contact Coordinator, Pauline Trummel or call 925.424.1471. The Tutorial Center is in MDB Room 2401.
Instructor Recommendation Form must be signed by the appropriate instructors for the courses you wish to tutor.
Schedule an interview with Pauline Trummel phone 925.424.1471. Bring your completed application and Instructor Recommendation forms..