Professional Development Committee
- Agenda & Minutes
- Additional Funding Sources
- Mandatory FLEX
- Variable FLEX
The Professional Development Committee
- The FLEX Days for 2019-2020 have been determined. They are Tuesday, October 22 for Fall 2019 and Tuesday, March 10 for Spring 2020.
- If you are Full-Time faculty, please make sure to complete your Variable FLEX form (Part 2) by May15.
- The PDC is currently accepting proposals for our Fall 2019 FLEX Day which is on Tuesday, October 22 from 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM. The final deadline to submit proposals for consideration in the program is Friday, October 4 by 5:00 PM.
- Archives from past FLEX day sessions, including Spring 2019, can be found here.
The Professional Development Committee is charged in an advisory capacity to address the professional and personal growth needs of the campus faculty, staff, and administration in accordance with the California Education Code as well as to foster the professional development goals set forth in the CLPCCD District Educational Master Planand the Las Positas College Mission Statement & Institutional Strategic Goals.
- In 2014, AB 2558 was placed into effect which effectively established the Community College Professional
Development Program and eliminated the Community College Faculty and Staff Development
- This assembly bill requires that each campus has a Professional Development Advisory
Committee (composed of faculty, staff, and administrators), completes an annual human
development resources plan, and submits a report of the actual expenses incurred through
faculty & staff development each year.
- Professional Development Funding is to be disbursed according to the rules and regulations
of the board of governors. In order to receive continued funding for Professional
Development on campus, documentation must be maintained concerning employees' participation
in Professional Development activities in accordance with their contractually obligated
- Another intersting item from 2015 is the creation of the new ACCJC Accreditation Standard III.A.5 which calls for the following:
"The institution provides all personnel with appropriate opportunities for continued professional development, consistent with the institutional mission and based on identified teaching and learning needs. The institution plans professional development activites to meet the needs of its personnel. With the assistance of the participants, the institution systematically evaluates professional development programs and uses the results of these evaluations as a basis for improvement."
- Section 87153 of California Education Code specifies the type of Professional Development activities
that may be funded by the Community College Professional Development Program. They
are as follows:
- Improvement of teaching.
- Maintenance of current academic and technical knowledge and skills.
- In-service training for vocational education and employment preparation.
- Retraining to meet changing institutional needs.
- Intersegmental exchange programs.
- Development of innovations in instructional and adminstrative techniques and program effectiveness.
- Computer and technological proficiency programs.
- Courses and training implementing affirmative action and upward mobility.
- Other activities determined to be related to educational and professional development
pursuant to criteria established by the Board of Governors of the California Community
Colleges, including, but not necessarily limited to, programs designed to develop
Meetings are held during the second Monday of each month from 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM in the Teaching and Learning Center (Room 2410).
Charge of Committee
Develop policies and processes for awarding of professional development funds; review
and make recommendations for funding of staff proposals; plan and promote professional
President, Academic Senate, Classified Senate
- Faculty Tri-Chair (selected by President & Academic Senate)
- Classified Tri-Chair (selected by Classified Senate)
- Administrator Tri-Chair (or designee)
- 1 Administrator or Designee
- 1 Faculty from each Division (currently 5 total)
- 1 Part-time Faculty
- 4 Classified, including Teaching and Learning Center
- 1 Student (non-voting), selected from LPCSG
- Academic Senate
- Administration (President)
- Classified Senate
2 years. One-half replaced each year. First year selected by lottery.
This is the membership list, effective for the 2018-2019 Academic Year:
|Roanna Bennie||Interim President/Administrator|
|Gabriela Discua||Faculty/Student Services|
|The Professional Development Committee currently reports out to the President & College Council. The official membership consists of a minimum of one chair (or two co-chairs), one administrator, five faculty (one from each division), one part-time faculty member, and four classified (including the TLC). Appointments are made by a combination of the Academic Senate, Administration, and the Classified Senate. Members serve two year terms with one-half of the membership replaced each year. The first year of the Professional Development Committee is selected by lottery.|