Student Learning Outcomes
The Math Department at Las Positas believes that all math students in our courses should be exposed to teaching and learning activities that promotes proficiency in the following:
Program Level Outcomes
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use symbolic, graphical, numerical, and written representations of mathematical ideas.
- Students will read, write, listen to, and speak mathematics with understanding.
- Students will use mathematical reasoning to solve problems and a generalized problem solving process to work word problems.
- Students will learn mathematics through modeling real-world situations.
- Students will use appropriate technology to enhance their mathematical thinking and understanding, solve mathematical problems, and judge the reasonableness of their results.
These SLOs were created collaboratively as a Department, during regular meetings over the course of several years. Many of the SLOs have been inspired by and correspond with Student Learning Outcomes endorsed by nationally recognized professional development organizations, such as AMATYC (American Mathematical Association of Two Year Colleges), and local community colleges in our area, such as Los Medanos College in Pittsburg, CA.
For information about the SLOs for individual courses and the SLO assessment process, please go to the Course Information page and view the Course Information Sheet for a specific course.