- Las Positas College
- Online Learning
- Faculty Resources
- Distance Education
- Grace Guidance for Faculty: Cameras, Recording, and Proctoring. Distributed by the LPC administration on November 5, 2020.
- LPC Distance Education Interaction Guidelines. Approved by the LPC Academic Senate on Nov. 28, 2012. Revisions approved by the Senate on March 10, 2021. Additional revisions approved by the Distance Education Committee on January 28, 2022.
- DE Accessibility Guidelines. Approved by the Distance Education Committee on April 23, 2021.
- OEI Course Design Rubric Resolution. Approved by the LPC Academic Senate on Nov. 29, 2017.
- Instructor's Withdrawal Option: Distance Education. "The instructor may drop students
who miss the first meeting of a course. The first meeting of online or hybrid Distance
Education courses is the first day of the class as specified in the class schedule
listing. For these courses, instructors may drop students who do not log into their
Canvas course and/or complete indicated activities by the third day of classes. DE
instructors may drop students if they have not submitted work and/or accessed the
class for two consecutive weeks. For Summer courses, DE instructors may drop students
if they have not submitted work and/or accessed the class for one week."
- First three sentences approved by the LPC Academic Senate on Dec. 17, 2008. Fourth sentence approved by Senate on May 23, 2012. Fifth sentence approved by Senate on March 13, 2013.
- Faculty training statement. Approved by the LPC Academic Senate on March 11, 2009. "Whereas Blackboard (now Canvas) is such an integral part of our education, all faculty who use it, need proper training, including copyright and accessibility issues."
- Privacy Statement. Approved by LPC DE Committee on Oct. 27, 2006. Includes language on student authentication.
- Official description of DE. Approved by the LPC DE Committee on Oct. 28, 2011. Language included in college catalog:
"Las Positas College typically offers Distance Education classes in two formats: online, which is conducted over the Internet; and hybrid, which is a combination of online and on-campus instruction. In addition to class sessions, materials, and exercises being accessible online, Distance Education classes make full use of interactive technologies, such as email, discussion boards, blogs, chat, and even group assignments so students can stay connected with their instructor and fellow students.
Because Distance Education classes offer access to accommodate the varied lifestyles and learning styles of students, Las Positas College offers an array of General Education classes in this format. Moreover, students can take Distance Education classes to earn many, if not all, of the units necessary to obtain certain degrees and certificates. Current class offerings can be found in the Class Schedule, on the CLASS-Web website, and on the Las Positas College Online Learning website.
Links for the above websites can be found on the College’s home page at www.laspositascollege.edu. For more information, including support services, orientations, success tips, and privacy information, see the Las Positas College Online Learning website, or call 925.424.1142."
- Recommendations for adding students to DE classes. Recommendations agreed upon by LPC DE Committee in May 2014.
- Canvas Usage Statements. Originally approved by the LPC Academic Senate on Nov. 14, 2018.
- Canvas Course Storage Guidelines. Approved by the Distance Education Committee on March 26, 2021.
- Canvas global messaging policy, agreed upon by LPC Executive Council, Fall 2020: LPC may
use global messaging to push out"changes to policy and services that need to be communicated evenly to students."
- Faculty Contract. Includes DE language on working conditions, evaluations, intellectual property, etc.
- Board Policy 4105 Distance and Correspondence Education
- Board Policy 3725 Information and Communications Technology Accessibility & Acceptable Use.
Student Support from Canvas
24x7 Live Chat, Email, Knowledge Base
(also available from Help icon in Canvas)