Register now for Spring 2023! Visit CLASS-Web to register.
- LPC Literary Arts Festival for Spring 2023! Visit the LPC Literary Arts Festival webpage for more information.
- Check out the RAW (Reading and Writing) Center for support with writing assignments! The RAW Center offers free tutoring for reading and writing in ANY class! Visit the RAW Center webpage for details on how to get support.
- Smart Shops are free, informative workshops for students! For the latest schedule, visit the Smart Shop Series webpage.
- English Home
- English AA
- English AA-T
- Creative Writing Certificate
- Creative Writing and Literature Course Descriptions
- LPC Literary Arts Festival and Monthy Literary Events
- Who can I be with English degree?
- Meet our Faculty & Instructional Assistants
- The English Center
- Reading & Writing Center (RAW)
- Community Education
- Poetry Center
The English Department
SUPPORTING STUDENTS AS READERS, WRITERS, AND THINKERS
The Las Positas English Department values and celebrates all dialects of English. No dialect of English, including "Standard" Edited American English, is superior to another; to treat one as superior or "correct" perpetuates structural racism. Powerful and original writing comes from authentic and diverse voices. We strive to teach all students to communicate clearly and effectively in their own voices. We also acknowledge the value of teaching Edited American English as a tool for students to reach certain academic and career goals.
Our English Faculty and Instructional Assistants help students develop their reading, writing, and critical thinking skills. Our goals are to help students thrive in college, to cultivate an inclusive learning environment, and to inspire students to be informed citizens and lifelong learners.
Want to find out about Campus Support for students? Check out the Student Resource Guide!
Students entering LPC now have the option to take English 1AEX, a 1A level course, which has added support and guidance.
Some of the benefits of taking a 1AEX course are as follows:
- Rigorous coursework at a slower pace
- Additional time for support from the instructor and instructional assistants
- Extensive practice of concepts
- In class time for practice and feedback
1A vs. 1AEX
All students are required to take the English Guided Self-Placement in CLASS-Web in order to register for an English course. Students can choose either English 1A or English 1AEX, which both meet GE and transfer requirements. ENG 1AEX is the same course as ENG 1A but offers two additional hours of lab support and practice. Students can self-place into either 1A or 1AEX. See this comparison table and transfer level English flow chart. Please visit the Assessment Center, Guided Self-Placement web page for more information on English placement or ESL assessment.