Financial Aid

State Financial Aid Programs

A, B, or C Cal Grant FAQs

GPA Verification Procedures
Cal Grant Eligibility Requirements 2016-2017 PDF
Cal Grant Income Ceiling (CSAC Web page)
Understanding My Cal Grant (PDF)
Eligible and Ineligible Cal Grant Colleges (CSAC Web page)
CSAC Disqualification Fact Sheet 2017-2018(PDF)

How to claim your Cal Grant award video How to claim your Cal Grant Award - Video

Create a WebGrants4Students Account Click Here

Login Picture for CSAC

For information on the Cal Grant, go online to or call 888-224-7268.

Watch a short video explanation about Cal Grant and other state programs

Students are automatically considered for a California State Grant (Cal Grant) A, B, or C when they file the FAFSA application prior to March 2nd of the previous school year, and indicate that they are a California Resident, as long as a GPA verification is filed by the deadline. With a Cal Grant you can get up to $12,192 per year to pay for college expenses at any qualifying California college, university or career or technical school in California depending on which Cal Grant you are awarded and where you attend college. Details are posted on  California Student Aid Commission Web site

Who Qualifies for a Cal Grant?

If you are a California graduating high school senior or recent graduate, or just got your GED, and meet academic, financial and eligibility requirements and submit a FAFSA and a GPA verification by the Cal Grant deadline then you may qualify for a Cal Grant for college or career or technical school.

Cal Grants are need-based grants provided by the State of California. To qualify, a student must be a California resident, be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, obtain a social security number and be attending (or plan to attend) an eligible institution in California. Awarding of grants is based on financial need and academic performance, and funds are limited. And you don't have to pay it back. Note: Cal Grant offers are subject to state budget requirements. A student may receive only one Cal Grant, either Cal Grant A, B or C. The three grants are targeted to assist three distinct groups of applicants and are mutually exclusive.

To be eligible for a Cal Grant you must:

  • Submit the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application and your verified Cal Grant GPA by the deadline

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen (your parents don’t need to be citizens or eligible noncitizens) or meet AB540 criteria

  • Be a California resident when you graduated from high school or meet AB540 criteria

  • Have a Social Security number or meet AB540 criteria

  • Attend a qualifying California college

  • Not have a bachelor’s or professional degree (except for Cal Grant A and B extended awards for a teaching credential program)

  • Have financial need based on your college costs

  • Have family income and assets below the established ceilings

  • Meet any minimum GPA requirements

  • Be in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate

  • Be enrolled at least half time

  • Have registered with U.S. Selective Service (most males)

  • Not owe a refund on a state or federal grant, or be in default on a student loan

  • You must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP)


Types of Cal Grants

Cal Grant A

  • will help pay for tuition and fees at four-year colleges
  • award amounts vary by type of college — for 2017-2018, Cal Grants are up to $12,630 at a University of California campus, up to $5,742 at a California State University campus, and up to $9,084 at independent colleges
  • has a GPA requirement. If you’re applying using your high school GPA, you must have at least a 3.0 GPA; if applying using your college GPA, you must have at least a 2.4 GPA
  • requires that your course of study leads directly to an associate or bachelor’s degree, or qualifies you for transfer from a community college to a bachelor’s degree program

Cal Grant B

  • provides a living allowance of up to $1,672, in addition to tuition and fee assistance after the first year, at a two- or four-year college
  • pays most first-year students a living allowance only, which may be used to pay living expenses, books, supplies and transportation, as well as tuition and fees
  • when renewed or awarded beyond your first year, you’ll receive the living allowance as well as a tuition and fee award (up to $12,630 at a UC campus, up to $5,742 at a CSU campus and up to $9,084 at independent colleges for 2017-2018)
  • requires at least a 2.0 GPA

Cal Grant C

  • assists with the costs of a technical or career education
  • provides up to $1,094 for books, tools and equipment—and up to $2,462 more for tuition and fees if you’ll be attending a school other than a California Community College (community colleges don’t charge tuition and your fees will be waived as a Cal Grant recipient)
  • is available for up to two years

If you qualify, you’ll receive an e-mail or letter notification to complete the online Cal Grant C Supplement in Web Grants for Students by the deadline. Even though a GPA is not required to apply for a Cal Grant C, you’re still encouraged to submit yours because it can only help your chances of receiving an award.

Four chances to get a Cal Grant Entitlement Award!

You can apply for a Cal Grant Entitlement Award in one of four ways:

  • Within one year after you graduate. Even if you have to go straight to work before going to college, you don't have to miss out on a Cal Grant.
  • As a community college transfer student, as long as you are under the age of 28.
  • As a high school senior.
  • Within one year of getting your GED.

Full-Time Student Success Grant

On top of the $1,672 annual Cal Grant B award paid at community colleges, the Full-Time Student Success Grant pays full-time Cal Grant B recipients an additional $1000 annually. All full-time community college students receiving Cal Grant B or C will be offered this assistance, and only full-time students can receive this benefit.

When is the Cal Grant deadline?
You must apply by March 2 to maximize your opportunity to receive an award.

If you miss the March 2 Cal Grant deadline and you plan to attend community college in the fall, you have until September 2 to apply. However, the number of Cal Grant awards are limited.

Please Note: Community college students who missed the March 2nd deadline can still file a FAFSA by September 2nd and GPA verification and will be considered for a competitive Community College Cal Grant. Complete the September 2 GPA verification before September 2nd.
This is the link:
California Student Aid Commission

More Information CSAC Web page


Got a GED but Do Not Have a GPA? You Can Get a Cal Grant.

Some students don't have a GPA, so certain test scores can be used instead. Please submit your test score along with the GPA Verification Form.

  • If you have a GED, submit your GED score directly to the California Student Aid Commission.
  • If you graduated from a school that doesn't provide grades, is not accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges or another regional accrediting agency, or doesn't have a course list approved by the University of California you must provide your ACT, SAT or GED score.
  • If you were home-schooled or attended a charter school you must submit your ACT, SAT or GED score.
  • If you graduated from high school more than five years ago you may provide your SAT or ACT score, or use a re-established GPA from your grades at a California Community College.

Can I get a Cal Grant if I’m going to a community college?

If you’ll be attending a California Community College in the fall and you missed the March 2 Cal Grant application deadline, you have a second opportunity to apply for a Cal Grant by September 2. Since the number of awards available in September is limited, you should try to meet the March 2 deadline.

If you receive a Cal Grant A but decide to attend a California Community College first, your award will be held in reserve for up to two years until you transfer to a four-year college (as a Cal Grant recipient, your community college fees will be waived and community colleges don’t charge tuition). Be sure to inform the California Student Aid Commission of any address changes during this time. When you’re ready to transfer, be sure to notify the Commission so that your Cal Grant eligibility can be re-evaluated. Also, let your new college know that you have a Cal Grant A Reserve Grant.

If you receive a Cal Grant B, you can use your $1,672 living allowance to help pay for books and other community college costs. (If you do, however, keep in mind that you’ll be using up Cal Grant eligibility that you may instead want to save if you’re planning to transfer to a four-year college.)

If you’re pursuing a career or technical education, you can use your Cal Grant C award to pay for books and supplies at a community college.

If you didn’t receive a Cal Grant for community college, you may qualify for a Cal Grant Transfer Entitlement award to attend a four-year college.



Cal Grant GPA Verification Procedures

For March 2nd DEADLINE

In general, our college is able to provide a GPA Verification ONLY if you completed 16 units (this does NOT include Basic skills or ESL courses) prior to Spring term. All currently attending LPC students who completed 16 or more units (not including Basic Skills or ESL) prior to Spring term will be automatically certified electronically. Do not submit an individual form as it will not be completed. Students who have already been awarded a Cal Grant for a previous year need only re-file a FAFSA form, not a GPA verification form.

For September 2nd DEADLINE

In general, our college is able to provide a GPA Verification ONLY if you completed 16 units (this does NOT include Basic skills or ESL courses) prior to Fall term. All currently attending LPC students who completed 16 or more units (not including Basic Skills or ESL) prior to Fall term will be automatically certified electronically. Do not submit an individual form as it will not be completed. Students who have already been awarded a Cal Grant for a previous year need only refile a FAFSA, not a GPA verification form.

Special Exceptions

You should complete a paper GPA verification form if:

  • You completed less than 16 units of non-basic skills or ESL classes at Las Positas or any other college prior to Fall; you must submit your GPA verification directly to your high school. We are unable to help you at Las Positas.
  • Your combined units from LPC and a prior college are between 16 - 24 units prior to fall. You must submit your official transcripts from the prior college(s) to the LPC Admissions Office, and submit your GPA verification form to the financial aid office with a note to combine your prior college(s) GPA. A combined GPA will be calculated for you. You must allow 2 weeks for Admissions to calculate your combined GPA, so please plan ahead!

For further information visit the Cal Grant Program Web site

California Chafee Grant for Foster Youth Information

Get detailed application and award status information on your Chafee Grant 24 hours/day, 7 days/week!

Interactive Voice Response System 1-888-224-7268 or Web Grants for Students:

Online Application



Financial Aid

Building 1600
Room 1650 (second floor)
Tel: 925.424.1580
Fax: 925.449.6038

General Information

Federal School Code: 030357

We have an after-hours DROPBOX
located in the hallway between the
Admissions and Financial Aid Offices,
for your convenience.

Print this Page Email this Page

Page last modified: March 09, 2018