- Administrative Services Home
- Bulletin Board
- Grant Process
- Payroll, HR, and Hiring
- Facilities Requests and Rentals
- Certificate of Liability Insurance
- Student Insurance
- CARES Act Institutional Aid Reporting
- Secure Shredding
- Child Development Center
- Information Technology
- Campus Safety
Contract for Services
Contract for Services are established for the purpose of hiring independent contractors to provide services to the College that are not typically provided by a College-employed position. The Contract for Services process requires many steps and should be prepared for accordingly. You are encouraged to begin the process approximately 2 months before the service needs to be performed. Please review the instructions below on the procedure for hiring independent contractors through the Contract for Services process.
Form to use: Requisition Request Form (Contract for Services Version) and additional documents listed below.
On the Requisition Request Form: enter a brief description of the work to be performed, a quantity of 1, and the total cost of the work under the unit price.
Required backup: see below for all necessary documents.
Example: Contract for Services Requisition
Las Positas College does not reimburse Independent Contractors for supplies purchased separately for the arranged work/services. The cost for supplies purchased for and in relation to the work agreed upon should be included as part of the overall contract. Receipts for these purchases should be retained by the Independent Contractor.
Contract for Services Process
Flowchart: Contract for Services
- Consider the type of work that needs to be performed and ensure that it falls under
the Contract for Services process. Information about Contract for Services can be
found at the District website here.
- Vendors that provide services to be performed fall under the Contract for Services process primarily when they are an "individual/sole-proprietor/single-member LLC" type of business. This can be confirmed with the vendor, or by the vendor's W-9 form. However, due to AB 5, this may not always be the case. If you are unsure, review the Independent Contractor Questionnaire and Independent Contractor Checklist forms to see if the vendor you wish to hire will most likely fall under a Contract for Services route.
- Gather the necessary paperwork, to be filled out in combination between you or your
supervisor and the independent contractor. The required forms can be found here and below. The first four listed forms are required every time you hire an independent
contractor, regardless of whether they have been hired in the past. Items 5 and 6
are required only if the independent contractor has not been previously hired by the
College. Item 7 is required if the vendor possesses a business license. If you are
unsure if they have been hired in the past, consult your supervisor or consider having
the vendor fill out the additional two forms, just in case. Forms should be downloaded
and opened via your Adobe program. Do not fill out forms in a browser.
- Requisition Request Form (LPC version) [always required]
- Contract for Services Form [always required]
- Independent Contractor Questionnaire [always required]
- Independent Contractor Checklist [always required]
- Vendor Profile Application [new independent contractors only]
- IRS W-9 Form [new independent contractors only]
- Valid Business License [include whenever possible]
- Attach the following documents to the Requisition PDF: (1) the Contract for Services Form, (2) the Independent Contractor Questionnaire, (3) the Independent Contractor Checklist, (4) the Vendor Profile Application, when applicable, (5) the vendor's W-9, when applicable, and (6) their valid business license, when applicable. Documents can be attached to the Requisition PDF by pressing Ctrl+Shift+i with the Requisition PDF open. The files in the combined PDF should follow the same order as shown in Step 2.
- Once all required forms are filled out and complete, submit your packet to your immediate supervisor for first-level signature approval. Up to your Vice President's signature approval is required. Do not obtain signature approval from the College President -- this will be obtained by the Business Office.
- Once you have up to your Vice President's signature approval, submit your packet to the Business Office for processing. The Business Office will assign your packet an R number (for the Requisition) and a CS number (for the Contract). These numbers are used to identify your Contract for Services packet.
- The Business Office will obtain the College President's signature approval on the Contract for Services Form.
- Once approved by the College President, the Business Office will obtain approval from the Vice President of Administrative Services.
- Once approved by the Vice President of Administrative Services, the Business Office will process the packet in Banner.
- Once approved in Banner, the Business Office will send a copy of the packet to the Requestor. This copy only denotes that approval has been obtained up to the College level and that the paperwork has been forwarded to the District Office. This copy does NOT indicate that a contract has been approved.
- The Business Office will forward the packet to the District Office. The District Office
will first obtain signature approval from both the Vice Chancellor of Human Resources
and the Vice Chancellor of Business Services.
- Note: until the final approval is obtained from both Vice Chancellors, the College does NOT have an approved contract with the independent contractor. Independent contractors should NOT be instructed to start performing services until final approval is obtained from both Vice Chancellors.
- Once approved by both Vice Chancellors, the packet is forwarded to Purchasing to be issued a PO. Invoices for the service(s) performed by the independent contractor will be paid against this established PO. In most cases, the Requestor will be sent a copy of the PO from Purchasing. Receiving this PO copy is your cue that the contract has been approved and work may be performed.
- Once the work has been performed, you should be provided with an invoice for payment
by the vendor. Invoices must be clearly labeled with the word "invoice" and should
only be paid after the service has been provided. Invoices must contain the following
before forwarding to the Business Office:
- Confirm that all information is correct, including the amount due.
- Write "ok to pay," sign below, and date.
- Write the PO number established by the District Purchasing Office.
- The Business Office will submit the invoice to District Accounting for payment.
For more information please contact:
Administrative Services Technician
Administrative Services Officer