- BIO 50: Anatomy and Physiology, (The prerequisite course of Anatomy and Physiology may be taken at another college. The course must have a lab component assigned and be equivalent in course content and unit value to the Las Positas College course, BIO 50. Online Anatomy and Physiology courses will not satisfy this pre-requisite.)
- EMS 62: Medical Terminology
- Successful completion of the LPC Fisdap Paramedic Entrance Exam. The college nor the testing vendor, JB Learning, do not provide students with Pramedic Entrance Exam score results.
- Successful completion of the Assessment Interview
Emergency Medical Services
- Emergency Medical Services Home
- EMT Basic Program
- Paramedic Academy
- Academy Admission
- Paramedic Technical Standards
- Paramedic Program Sequence
- A.S. Degree EMT - Paramedic
- EMT - Paramedic Certificate
- Emergency Medical Responder Certificate
- Emergency Medical Technologies Certificate
- Job Market
- Industry Credentials
- LPC Internship & Job Board
- Transfer Opportunities
- Career & Technical Education
- Advisory Board
Paramedic Academy Admission
Applicants are required to successfully complete the Fisdap Paramedic Entrance Exam. The Entrance Exam is at the Las Positas College campus. The testing schedule for the Fall 2023 Fisdap Paramedic Entrance Examination is yet to be determined.
Minimum qualifications for the Paramedic Training Program:
- Applicant must be 18 years of age at time of the first class date
- Current valid California State Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Authority Emergency
Medical Technician (EMT) Certification
(NREMT registration as an EMT is insufficient to satisfy this prerequisite. Prospective applicants seeking admittance to the Las Positas College Paramedic Program must possess California State EMS Authority certification as an EMT.)
- Current valid Basic Life Support Healthcare Provider certification
- Successful completion of the course prerequisites or successful completion of a course equivalent
The Paramedic Academy schedules a competency assessment interview with prospective students who submit a completed application and meet the minimum qualifications. The Assessment Interview is at the Las Positas College campus. Prospective students receive an email invitation indicating their assessment appointment date and time.
Las Positas College maintains an atmosphere that is welcoming to all students and conducive to their academic and personal success. The College provides an environment free of all forms of harassment, in which all students and employees are treated with dignity and respect. Las Positas College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, physical ability, religious belief, or age in any of its policies, procedures, or practices.
If you have Paramedic Academy questions, it is preferable that you email Ms. Blackshear at: or you may leave a voice mailbox message for Ms. Blackshear at:
If you have questions or need information about Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) training, email the primary instructor, Wendy Mc Clendon at:
Passing the California Paramedic Licensing examination administered by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians is required at the conclusion of the program in order to work in California as a paramedic.
For more information please contact:
Pass/Fail data provided by National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT).
The Las Positas College Paramedic Training Program has been approved by the California State EMS Authority and the local EMS Agency, Alameda County EMS Agency.
The Las Positas College Paramedic Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP). This accreditation is initial and expires on March 31, 2022.
To contact CAAHEP:
25400 US Highway 19 North, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
To contact CoAEMSP:
8301 Lakeview Parkway Suite 111-312
Rowlett, TX 75088