Emergency Medical Services
- Emergency Medical Services Home
- EMT Basic Program
- Paramedic Training Program
- Paramedic Program Sequence
- A.S. Degree EMT - Paramedic
- EMT - Paramedic Certificate
- Emergency Medical Responder Certificate
- Emergency Medical Technologies Certificate
- Job Market
- LPC Internship & Job Board
- Transfer Opportunities
- Career & Technical Education
- Advisory Board
Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic and the need to maintain social distance, all face to face meetings on campus have been cancelled and transitioned to an online capacity. As a result the orientation session shall be online via Zoom.
Paramedic Training Program
The Paramedic Training program at Las Positas College will be a for-credit college course program. College credit will be offered and the course will satisfy the requirements for academic credit towards their associate’s degree in EMS or a Certificate of Achievement through Las Positas College. As a course approved by the State Chancellor’s Office, Financial Aid is available if the student qualifies. The costs of the program will be charged at $46.00 per unit and there will be a Materials and Lab Fee of approximately $900 for I.V. catheters, uniforms, Scrub Suit, Course Certification card and fees for National Registry Paramedic Licensing Testing, ACLS, PALS. /PEPP, PHTLS, and TECC. The final Materials and Fees cost will be formalized over the Summer Session and posted in the Fall. Ambulance Providers that maintain an educational affiliation agreement with Las Positas College to provide Field Internship training may also charge a fee ranging from $1,000.00 to $3, 000.00 that is the responsibility of the Student.
The estimated total cost of the program ranges from $3,682.00 to $5,682.00.
Upon successful completion of the Las Positas College Paramedic Training Program, including the didactic, clinical, and field internship components, students will be eligible to sit for the licensing examination as a Paramedic with the NREMT.
The Paramedic training program prepares individuals to become paramedics. The Paramedic program at Las Positas College is an 18-month, special admissions program.
Classes will be announced in the Class Schedule for Fall of 2021.
The next cohort starts August 18, 2021. Admission is by special application only. Applications open April 1, 2021 and close June 18, 2021.
As a Special Admissions program, interested students and prospective applicants are required to have all the program pre-requisites completed at the time of application. In addition, due to requirements of the clinical training facilities, admitted students to the paramedic program must successfully pass a criminal background check and drug panel screening. Admitted students must also submit immunization records prior to course attendance showing verification of required vaccinations and or titers.
Prospective applicants may attend an orientation session on:
- Monday, May 17, 2021 6:00-7:30 PM
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.Applicants will have the opportunity during orientation to ask about pre-requisites, status of accreditation, or other questions they may have about the program.
Paramedic Program Admission
Applicants are required to successfully complete the Fisdap Paramedic Entrance Exam. Choose from two dates tentatively scheduled for:
- Saturday, June 5, 2021 at 10:00 AM
- Monday, June 7, 2021 at 10:00 AM
The Exam will cost the applicant $25.25. The exam will be proctored.
The Paramedic Entrance Exam book code is: 10745-6 and it is $25.25.
To access the FISDAP Paramedic Exam, follow this link:
Minimum qualifications to apply for the Paramedic Training Program:
- Applicant must be 18 years of age at time of the first class date on
August 18, 2021.
- Current valid California State Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Authority Emergency
Medical Technician (EMT) Certification
(NREMT registration as an EMT is insufficient to satisfy this prerequisite. Prospective applicants to the Paramedic Program seeking admittance to the Las Positas College Paramedic Program must seek California State EMS Authority certification as an EMT in the State of California.)
- Current valid Basic Life Support Healthcare Provider certification
- Successful completion of the FISDAP Paramedic Entrance Exam
- Successful completion of course prerequisites or successful completion of verified equivalent
- BIO 50 Anatomy and Physiology, (The pre-requisite course of Anatomy and Physiology may be taken at another college. The course must have a lab component assigned and be equivalent in course content and unit value to the Las Positas College course, BIO 50. Online Anatomy and Physiology courses will not satisfy this pre-requisite.)
- EMS 62 Medical Terminology
To apply, complete the application and submit it to Las Positas College.
* Application will be posted here soon
The application must include copies of:
- Current valid California State EMS Authority EMT Certification
- Current valid Basic Life Support Healthcare Provider certification
- Unofficial transcript of completion of BIO 50 Anatomy and Physiology with Lab or verified equivalent
- Unofficial transcript of completion of EMS 61 Medical Terminology or verified equivalent
- Copy of required vaccinations
The college will hold interviews with prospective applicants who submit a completed application and meet the minimum qualifications.
Las Positas College maintains an atmosphere that is welcoming to all students and conducive to their academic and personal success. The College provides an environment free of all forms of harassment, in which all students and employees are treated with dignity and respect. Las Positas College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, physical ability, religious belief, or age in any of its policies, procedures or practices.
If you have any questions, it is preferable that you email Mr. Wong at:
You may leave a message for Mr. Wong at 925-424-1107
Passing the California Paramedic Licensing examination administered by the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians is required at the conclusion of the program in order to work in California as a paramedic.
For more information please contact:
Paramedic & EMT
Pass/Fail data provided by National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT).
The Las Positas College Paramedic Training Program has been approved by the California State EMS Authority and the local EMS Agency, Alameda County EMS Agency.
The Las Positas College Paramedic Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP). This accreditation is initial and expires on March 31, 2022.
To contact CAAHEP:
25400 US Highway 19 North, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
To contact CoAEMSP:
8301 Lakeview Parkway Suite 111-312
Rowlett, TX 75088