- Welcome & News
- Degrees & Certificates
- Performance Ensembles
- Ensemble Auditions
- Commercial Music
- Music Faculty
- The Job Market
- LPC Internship & Job Board
- Performing Arts
- Career & Technical Education
- Advisory Board
Spring 2021 Ensembles - Online Instruction
Our top priority as a department this school year is student and instructor safety, while also finding innovative and creative solutions to the central problem: Making music together without spread of the coronavirus. Because Alameda County has been put on the State’s monitoring list and continues to have rising COVID-19 cases, the Chabot-Las Positas Community College District has significantly scaled back the number of classes that can meet in-person. This means that all LPC ensemble classes (previously scheduled as hybrid courses with appropriate social distancing) are being taught fully online and do not currently include any regular on-campus meetings.
Our ensembles have a multitude of options for making music together while fully utilizing modern technology, including (but not limited to):
- Collaborative cloud-based recording assignments
- Trials and implementation of very low-latency software that allows synchronous playing and singing with minimal lag
- Score study and research projects on composers and arrangers in historically marginalized communities
- Weekly technical, musicianship, and skill-building exercises
- Exploration of state-of-the-art distance learning softwares, tailored to ensemble instrumentation
- Virtual ensemble recordings and videos
- The continuation of the strong and vital communities within all of our ensembles.
We are legitimately excited to explore new ways of teaching and learning that, in some ways, may be just plain better than traditional methods. It is our stated goal to create a successful, meaningful, creative, and engaging semester for every single student.
Auditionees must enroll in their desired ensemble(s) before auditions are held to guarantee availability and placement. Visit Admissions & Records to complete enrollment in ensembles. Auditioned ensemble class codes are:
- MUS 41 - Instrumental Chamber Music
- Wed - 6:00-8:50pm
- MUS 46 - Vocal East Jazz Ensemble
- Mon/Wed - 4:00-5:50pm
Vocal Ensembles and Audition Requirements
There are two vocal ensembles offered for Spring 2021:
Concert Choir is non-auditioned and is under the direction of Ash Walker. The first class meeting is Tuesday, January 19, 2021.
"Vocal East" Jazz Ensemble requires an entrance audition for new members. Prior to the beginning of the semester (January 19th), send or share an unedited video recording of yourself singing a jazz standard to director Ian Brekke at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please sing with an instrumental backing track. Improvisation/scat singing is optional but encouraged.
Example jazz standard leadsheets and recommended resource books for sheet music can be found here:
The first class meeting for "Vocal East" Jazz Ensemble is Wednesday, January 20, 2021.
Instrumental Ensembles and Audition Requirements
There are two instrumental ensembles offered for Spring 2021:
Improvisation Lab is non-auditioned and is under the instruction of Tim Devine. The first class meeting is Thursday, January 21, 2021.
- Please see the following link for MUS 41 auditions: https://forms.gle/GEbbHQwPRxZq22RSA
- Instrumental Chamber Music Ensemble will be held remotely on Wednesday, January 20, 2021 at 6:00pm-8:50pm during the second half of the first rehearsal via Zoom call. Individual auditions are required for ensemble placement, including for returning members.
For more information please contact:
Mertes Center for the Arts (Bldg 4000)
Las Positas College
3000 Campus Hills Drive
Livermore, CA 94551