- Welcome & News
- Degrees & Certificates
- Summer Jazz Camp
- Performance Ensembles
- Commercial Music
- Department Handbook
- Music Faculty
- All-Steinway School
- The Job Market
- Performer / Instructor Referrals
- LPC Internship & Job Board
- Performing Arts
- Career & Technical Education
- Advisory Board
2022-23 Ensembles - Face-To-Face Pending County Guidelines
Our top priority as a department is student and instructor safety, while also finding innovative and creative solutions to the central problem: Making music together without spread of Covid 19.
Ensembles are currently being taught face-to-face pending state and county guidelines. Appropriate measures are in place to ensure safe rehearsal and performance. This space will be updated accordingly with new information as necessary.
Auditionees must enroll in their desired ensemble(s) before auditions are held to guarantee availability and placement. Visit Admissions & Records to complete enrollment in ensembles.
Auditioned ensemble class codes and meeting times for Fall 2022:
- MUS 14/15 - Jazz Ensemble
- Mon - 6:00-8:50pm
- MUS 16/41 - Orchestra & Instrumental Chamber Ensemble
Wed - 6:00-8:50pm
- MUS 17A/B/11 - Jazz Combos
- Tues - 2:30-3:45pm, Fri - 11:30am-12:45pm
- MUS 45 - Chamber Choir
- Tues/Thur - 4:00-5:50pm, Fri - 1:30-2:20pm
- MUS 46 - Vocal East Jazz Ensemble
- Mon/Wed - 4:00-5:50pm, Fri - 12:30-1:20pm
Jazz Combos Audition Requirements
- Dan Marschak, Director
- Audition process:
- Horns: Play the head (melody) of a tune of your choice, then improvise for at least a chorus.
- Drummers/Percussionists: Demonstrate 3 styles: Swing, Bossa, Funk (each style can be approx 30 seconds). Please also play with either a backing a track or a friend over a tune of your choice and trade 4s for at least one chorus.
- Piano and Guitar: Choose a standard and demonstrate playing chord changes ("comping")
- Bass: Demonstrate basslines in 3 styles: Swing, Bossa, Funk (each style can be approx 30 seconds). Please also 'play' with either a backing a track or a friend over a tune of your choice and improvise for at least one chorus.
- Vocalists: Sing a tune of your choice over a backing track or with an accompanist. Scatting over the changes is ideal, but not required.
Jazz Ensemble Audition Requirements
- Mario Silva, Director
- Auditions for MUS 14/15 are held on the first day of class 8/22 6pm-8:50pm
- Horns: Please have prepared 2 major scales in 2 octaves. Also, please perform the head for a jazz standard of your choice.
- Drummers/Percussionists: Please demonstrate 3 styles: Swing, Bossa, Funk
- Rhythm Section (piano, guitar, bass): Please choose a standard and demonstrate playing chord changes.
Vocal Audition Requirements
Vocal East: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040548ADAB28A3F49-vocal2
Each 10-minute audition consists of the following 4 elements:
- Prepared Piece
- Tonal Memory
- Sight Reading
- Part Singing
At least 48 hours prior to attending your audition, please read and fill out this Google Form:
Example jazz standard leadsheets and recommended resource books for sheet music can be found here:
Instrumental Chamber and Orchestra Audition Requirements
We offer two non-auditioned ensembles, where anyone regardless of ability, can enroll and participate: MUS 48 Improvisation Lab and MUS 44 Concert Choir.
This Fall 2022, the non-auditioned ensemble will be:
After reading all available information thoroughly, any remaining questions may be directed to Dan Marschak (email@example.com)
For more information please contact:
Mertes Center for the Arts (Bldg 4000)
Las Positas College
3000 Campus Hills Drive
Livermore, CA 94551