Important Announcement: All Biology courses have new rubrics and numbers starting in Fall 2015
What Biology courses should I take?
That depends on your ultimate educational goals. Click on the course below to see its Course Description.
General Education Courses for the Non-Biology Major
- Biology 10: Introduction to the Science of Biology (4 units, with lab)
- Biology 20: Human Biology (3 units, lecture only) *
- Biology 40: Humans and the Environment (3 units, lecture only) *
- Biology 50: Human Anatomy and Physiology (4 units, with lab)
- Biology 60: Marine Biology (4 units, with lab)
* Biology 10 and Biology 20 are offered in both traditional face-to-face format and as online courses.
Biology Transfers, Biology Majors and Pre-Professional Pathway
- Biology 1A: General Botany (5 units, with lab)
- Biology 1B: General Zoology (5 units, with lab)
- Biology 1C: Cell and Molecular Biology (5 units, with lab)
Pre-Nursing and Pre-Dental Hygiene Pathway
- Biology 7A: Human Anatomy (5 units, with lab)
- Biology 7B: Human Physiology (5 units, with lab)
- Biology 7C: Microbiology (5 units, with lab)
Other Courses Offered
- Biology 29: Independent Study
- Biology 9 (not currently offered): Biology Colloquium is offered each spring for plant enthusiasts who want to learn how to use Jepson Manual to identify California wildflowers.
- Zoology 9 (not currently offered): Zoology Colloquium is offered each semester as an optional course that helps Biology 1B students develop field and research methods for their semester-long animal behavior study.
Other Degrees & Certificates Requiring One or More Biology Courses
- Certificate of Achievement in Administrative Medical Assistant
- Certificate of Achievement in Emergency Medical Services (EMS)-EMT Paramedic
- Career Certificate in Sports Medicine
- Certificate of Achievement in Enology
- Certificate of Achievement in Viticulture
- Viticulture and Enology Preparation for Transfer to UC Davis
- Viticulture and Enology Preparation for Transfer to CSU Fresno
- Program-based GE for AS in Chemistry (Transfer Preparation)
- AS in Emergency Medical Services (EMS)-EMT Paramedic
- AA (Transfer Preparation) in Environmental Studies
- AA in Liberal Arts and Sciences
- AS in Occupational Safety and Health
- AA in Physical Education (Transfer Preparation)
- AA in Psychology (note: Bio 10 and 31 are now recommended electives)
- AS in Viticulture
- AS in Enology